National Centre for Biological Sciences
|Tata Institute of Fundamental Research|
|Dean||Upinder Singh Bhalla|
National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS) in Bangalore, Karnataka, is a research centre specialising in biological research. It is a part of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) under the Department of Atomic Energy of the Government of India. The mandate of NCBS is basic and interdisciplinary research in the frontier areas of biology. The research interests of the faculty are in four broad areas ranging from the study of single molecules to systems biology.
NCBS focuses on fundamental research from diverse fields of biology including Biochemistry, Biophysics, Bioinformatics, Neurobiology, Cellular Organization and Signalling, Genetics and Development, Theory and Modelling of Biological Systems, Ecology and Evolution etc. NCBS offers PhD, Integrated PhD and M.Sc. by Research in these areas. It also offeres M.Sc in Wildlife Biology and Conservation every alternative year. Till 2016, it has produced over 182 PhD holders and 65 M.Sc degree holders in Wildlife Biology and Conservation.
Centres and programs
In addition to various research labs, NCBS hosts following research centres or programs:
- The Simons Centre for the study of Living Machines
- NCBS-Max Planck Lipid Center
- Chemical Ecology
- Accelerator program for Discovery in Brain disorders using Stem cells
- Masters in Wildlife Biology & Conservation
NCBS engages in a number of collaborative initiatives, such as Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine (inStem) and the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Platforms (C-CAMP). Together these three institutions serve as part of the Bangalore Bio-Cluster, bringing together fundamental research, translational studies, and technology development.
Controversies and allegations
in 2020-21, multiple allegations appeared in PubPeer, where some faculties at NCBS were alleged to be involved in data manipulation in their publications and lead to internal investigation and retraction from journal.
- Who We Are and What We Do | NCBS
- Research Development Office - Grants for independent researchers | NCBS
- "NCBS Faculty". Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Admissions". Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Alumni in 2016". National Centre for Biological Sciences. 15 November 2017. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- inStem - About Us
- Bangalore Bio-Cluster | Centre for Cellular and Molecular Platforms (C-CAMP)
- Datta, Sayantan (31 July 2021). "NCBS Retraction: Ex-Student Alleges Others Involved in Research Fraud". The Wire Science. Retrieved 1 August 2021.
- Bandyopadhyay, Siladitya; Chaudhury, Susmitnarayan; Mehta, Dolly; Ramesh, Arati (5 October 2020). "RETRACTED ARTICLE: Discovery of iron-sensing bacterial riboswitches". Cite journal requires
- Koshy, Jacob (17 July 2021). "After recall of paper over data manipulation, NCBS storm over charges of 'harassment'". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 1 August 2021.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Centre for Biological Sciences.|