Chamber Choir Ireland
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
CHAMBER CHOIR IRELAND, formerly known as the National Chamber Choir of Ireland, is an Irish-based choral ensemble that is funded by the Irish Arts Council /an Chomhairle Ealaíon. The choir's repertoire spans from early to contemporary choral music and it has gained a reputation for the high artistic quality of its performances.
Since his appointment in June 2008 the Artistic Director has been the British conductor Paul Hillier. From May 2002 to January 2007 the choir's conductor was Brazilian conductor Celso Antunes, who succeeded founding Artistic Director Colin Mawby.
In addition to working with international guest conductors including David Hill, Stephen Cleobury, Stephen Layton, Bo Holton etc., the Choir also provides opportunities for young Irish conductors by supporting emerging talent on the conducting scene.
Since its inception, Chamber Choir Ireland has regularly commissioned choral work by both Irish and International composers such as Gerald Barry (composer), Ian Wilson, Andrew Hamilton, Siobhán Cleary, Kevin Volans, Tarik O'Regan, and Jennifer Walshe.
Chamber Choir Ireland regularly tours throughout the island of Ireland, presenting choral concerts to audiences all around the country. Internationally, the Choir has toured extensively in Europe, Asia and South America and undertook its first US tour with the assistance of Culture Ireland as part of Imagine Ireland, a year of Irish Arts in America in 2011. Recent appearances include performances at the White House on St Patrick’s Day 2011.
Recent releases include "One Day Fine" on the RTE Lyric FM label and "Acallam na Senórach" on the Harmonia Mundi label, as well as a recording to accompany the publication of "Choirland: An Anthology of Irish Choral Music" in collaboration with the Contemporary Music Centre and the Association of Irish Choirs. Future recordings include a recording of works by Gerald Barry, also featuring the Crash Ensemble (March 2013), and a collection of "Christmas" music on the Harmonia Mundi label (December 2014).
Chamber Choir Ireland also performs and collaborates with other ensembles and organisations both at home and abroad including the Crash Ensemble, Theatre of Voices, Irish Baroque Orchestra, Kronos Quartet, Irish Chamber Orchestra, Contemporary Music Centre, and the Association of Irish Choirs. The Choir also collaborates with Cork International Choral Festival where, as Choir in Residence, it performs newly commissioned works at its annual Seminar.
Principal funding for Chamber Choir Ireland comes from the Arts Council /an Chomhairle Ealaíon, the Arts Council of Northern Ireland National Lottery Fund, and Dublin City Council.
- Arts council Client Number. http://www.artscouncil.ie/Funding-decisions/Annual-Funding-2016---Chamber-Choir-Ireland-811616570/
- "Known for memorable performances of exceptional musicality spanning the great baroque to contemporary composers ..." http://performingarts.nd.edu/vas/
- ".... a choir whose exemplary standards of execution place them among a small handful of truly world-class musical ensembles currently active in Ireland." http://www.culturenorthernireland.org/article/6373/classical-review-chamber-choir-ireland
- David Brophy http://www.dit.ie/conservatory/staff/davidbrophy/
- Clare O'Brien http://www.aoic.ie/iyc/news/full_article/?tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=23&cHash=fe1626b7f2c858b170f6501da7855971