National Chi Nan University
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|President||Dr. Yuhlong Oliver Su|
|594 (as of 2015)|
|Undergraduates||6,353(as of 2016)|
|Postgraduates||1,781(as of 2014)|
|324 (as of 2014)|
|Location||Puli, Nantou County, Taiwan|
|National Chi Nan University|
|Literal meaning||National University of Reaching Southward|
The National Chi Nan University Planning Committee was established on 1 March 1991 in order to establish a university with the following missions:
- To provide more higher education opportunities.
- To improve the education of Overseas Taiwanese.
- To assist in developing industries as a part of Six-Year National Construction Plan of Taiwan.
- To balance cultural and educational development between regions.
Land which had been the property of the Taiwan Sugar Corporation was selected as the campus of the new university in January 1992. The initial phase of construction of the university was completed in July 1995. The first classes of graduate students were enrolled at the University in September 1995. The first classes of undergraduates registered in September 1996, along with the official opening of the campus.
When the devastating 921 earthquake struck Nantou County on 21 September 1999, all major buildings and dormitories in campus were critically damaged, and the University suffered a great loss of equipment and basic infrastructure. President Ricard Lee had led the three-day evacuation of the entire student body and the provisional relocation to the campus of National Taiwan University in Taipei City for one semester. The restoration of the campus was mostly completed in the following six months. The student body and all the Colleges went back to the campus in the next semester.
NCNU has four colleges: Education, Humanities, Management, and Science and Technology.
- The Taiwanese drama series, Hana Kimi was filmed here.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Chi Nan University.|
- "校名校徽 (Chinese)". Nat'l Chi Nan U. Retrieved 2014-08-25.
- The name of the university is translated using Chinese word order. By English grammar rules, it is Chi Nan National University.
- International Admission Site (Chinese)
- The Affiliated Senior High School of National Chi Nan University