National Children's Museum
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2014)|
|National Children’s Museum|
|Established||1974 (originally the Capital Children’s Museum, Washington, DC)|
The National Children’s Museum (NCM) is an interactive museum for children, serving the Washington, D.C. metro area. In 2003, the United States Congress designated NCM as the only national museum dedicated entirely to children and their families.
The museum's exhibits and programming are designed for children to "learn through play," and focus on six core content areas: the arts, civic engagement, the environment, global citizenship, health and well being, and play. NCM's mission is to inspire children to care about and improve the world.
Capital Children's Museum (1974-2004)
NCM was founded as the Capital Children’s Museum in 1974. In 1979, it moved into a building at 220 H Street, NE in Washington, D.C., a former Little Sisters of the Poor home. In 2003, Congress identified a need for a nationally recognized cultural and educational institution specifically for children. The H Street location closed in August 2004.
Museum Without Walls (2004-2012)
Since 2004, the National Children’s Museum has been operating as a “museum without walls,” forging partnerships with other organizations and participating in community events, educational outreach programs and traveling exhibits.
Some of the events in which NCM has participated include the White House Easter Egg Roll, the National Cherry Blossom Festival, the Marine Corps Marathon, Kids Euro Festival, Nickelodeon's Worldwide Day of Play, and NCM's own JumpOFF! and CycleFest.
As a "museum without walls," NCM reached over 300,000 kids and families last year alone.
NCM staff has conducted educational outreach activities in 14 states, presenting the Museum’s Family Literacy Projects on a Budget teacher training programs.
Launch Zone (2009-2012)
The Launch Zone opened at National Harbor in 2009. The 2,700 square-foot space offered exhibits and programming to young children and their families. There was no charge for admission, and it was open to the public seven days a week.
The Launch Zone closed on September 3, 2012, in preparation for NCM's December 14 opening.
NCM has two major exhibit areas: 3 & Under and Our World. Columbus, Ohio-based Roto Studio designed the 2,700 square foot 3 & Under exhibit space, and Boston-based Amaze Design was appointed to fabricate the 9,000 square foot Our World exhibit, way-finding signage and donor wall. Both firms specialize in museum exhibit design.
On November 14, 2014, NCM announced that it would relocate back to Washington, D.C., in 2015.
Visiting hours and operations
NCM is now closed at National Harbor in Prince George's County, Md. The museum will relocate to Washington, DC.
Sutton, Benjamin, "National Children’s Museum Eyes November Opening, Will Boast on Big Wheel Racetrack", ArtInfo, June 6, 2012
Parker, Lonnae O'Neal, "National Children’s Museum (finally!) reopening at National Harbor", The Washington Post, June 12, 2012
Hager, Nathan, "National Children’s Museum one step closer to opening in Pr. George’s County", WTOP.com, June 12, 2012
Eatough, Allison, "Eight Great Museum Exhibits That Engage Children of All Ages", Maryland Family Magazine, July 22, 2012
- "National Children’s Museum Launch Zone (National Harbor, MD)", The Meanest Momma, Aug. 31, 2012
- "The Weekend Round-Up: August 17-19", KidFriendlyDC, Aug. 17, 2012
Sowah, Jillian S. "Prince George’s County community calendar, Aug. 16-23, 2012", The Washington Post, Aug. 17, 2012
Cooper, Rachel, "Washington DC Events – Top Things to Do this Weekend", About.com, Aug. 3, 2012
- "Go for the GOLD at the National Children’s Museum", (cool) progeny, Aug. 2, 2012
- "Go for the Gold", Gazette Newspapers, Aug. 2, 2012
- "Weekend Roundup August 2, 2012", The Georgetowner, Aug. 2, 2012
- "The Weekend Round-Up: August 3-5", KidFriendlyDC, Aug. 2, 2012
"Editor’s Pick: Go for the Gold", In the Loop: Washington Parent E-News, Aug. 2, 2012
"Meet a former Olympian at National Children’s Museum", Chesapeake Family Magazine, July 30, 2012
- "10 Children’s Museums for Olympics-Themed Fun", Kidventurous, July 25, 2012
"Editor’s Pick: Go for the Gold", In the Loop: Washington Parent E-News, July 25, 2012
- "Field Trip: August Events at the National Children’s Museum (NCM)", DullesMoms.com, July 25, 2012
Sowah, Jillian S. "Things to do July 19-Aug. 2: Nicki Minaj, 2 Chainz, Ledisi and Eric Benet perform at DAR", The Washington Post, July 20, 2012
- "National Harbor, MD: A Great Summer Destination for Families", Trekaroo, July 14, 2012
Sowah, Jillian S. "Prince George’s County wellness calendar, July 12-19", The Washington Post, July 12, 2012
"Editor’s Pick: SunWise", In the Loop: Washington Parent E-News, July 11, 2012
- "10 New Meeting Venues in Washington", BizBash, July 9, 2012
- "Washington area appointments and promotions for the week of July 9", The Washington Post, July 8, 2012
- "The Weekend Round-Up: July 6-8", KidFriendlyDC, July 6, 2012
- "Date Night in Prince George’s County: Movies, Baseball and More", Upper Marlboro Patch, July 5, 2012
"National Children’s Museum to Open This Year at National Harbor", FestivalDC.com, June 14, 2012
- "Everybody Walk the Dinosaur: Toddler Tuesdays at the NCM Launch Zone", Not So Stay-at-home Mom, May 12, 2012
- "Landmark Lofts: Heavenly Luxury!". Retrieved 14 April 2014.