National Cleanup Day
|National CleanUp Day|
|Observed by||National CleanUp Day is observed in the United States in all 50 States and US Territories.|
|Celebrations||Volunteer to cleanup the country. From Sea to Shining Sea.|
|Date||3rd Saturday in September|
|2018 date||September 15|
|2019 date||September 21|
|2020 date||September 19|
|2021 date||September 18|
National CleanUp Day is celebrated annually in the United States on the third Saturday of September. It promotes both organized and individual cleanup events and volunteering to keep the outdoors clean.
The national network of stewards of the outdoors is in all 50 States and US Territories.
If everyone picked up one piece of litter, what would happen?
The inaugural National CleanUp Day was held in 2017 and had more than 225,000 volunteers. The 2018 event had over 1,500,000 volunteers, 14 million pounds of waste collected, and was held in conjunction with World CleanUp Day. National CleanUp Day partners include Earth Day, Keep America Beautiful, World Cleanup Day, Waterkeeper Alliance, National Parks Conservation Association, Junior Chamber International, Granite Gear, and Clean Trails. In April 2019, Earth Day partnered with National CleanUp Day and Keep America Beautiful for the inaugural Earth Day CleanUp and had over 500,000 volunteers working to clean up trash and litter nationally.
Clean Trails programs include National Clean-Up Day, Clean Trails, Plogging.org, TrashTag.org and Clean City USA.
Studies show the highest indicator that someone will pick up litter is if they witness someone else picking up litter. Community Based Social Marketing (CBSM) studies are proving that peer group norms are more powerful than incentives, and when worked in concert with each other, they can provide impressive behavioral change impacts.
- Earth Day
- Keep America Beautiful
- World Cleanup Day
- Let's Do It! World
- Carl Garner Federal Lands Cleanup Day
- Civic engagement
- Community service
- Good Deeds Day
- Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup
- International Volunteer Day
- Junior Chamber International
- Litter in the United States
- National Parks Conservation Association
- National Public Lands Day
- Ocean Conservancy
- The Ocean Cleanup
- The Plastic Bank
- Waterkeeper Alliance
- World Oceans Day
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Earth Day.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Keep America Beautiful.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to World CleanUp Day.|
- "About Clean Trails - Past Results". cleantrails.org. 26 July 2019. Retrieved 26 July 2019.
- "500,000 Volunteers Take Part in Earth Day 2019 Cleanup". earthday.org. 22 July 2019. Retrieved 22 July 2019.
- "Community Based Social Marketing". cleantrails.org. 22 July 2019.
- National CleanUp Day
- Clean Trails
- Amarillo Texas National CleanUp Day 2018 Event
- WaterKeeper Alliance 2018 Event
- Hiking Friends Inspire Thousands
- Clean Up The World
- YMCA and National CleanUp Day
- National CleanUp Day in American Samoa
- Keep America Beautiful
- Earth Day 2019 CleanUp with National CleanUp Day