National Coffee Association
|Legal status||Trade association|
|Willard (Dub) Hay|
The National Coffee Association (NCA) or (National Coffee Association of U.S.A., Inc.), is the main market research, consumer information, and lobbying association for the coffee industry in the United States.
The association has functions and services include:
- Market and scientific research
- Domestic and international government relations, including lobbying
- Public relations and education
Membership and management
NCA's membership comprises mainly small and mid-sized companies, including coffee growers, roasters, retailers, as well as importers/exporters and wholesaler/suppliers. This membership accounts for more than 90% of all US coffee commerce.
National Coffee Drinking Trends
"Join the Coffee Achievers"
In response to twenty years of declining coffee consumption, the association launched a $20 million "Join the Coffee Achievers" advertising campaign on September 11, 1983. Aimed at the 18-to-34 age group, the television commercials featured Ken Anderson, David Bowie, Jane Curtin, Joe Jackson, Allison Roe, Cicely Tyson, Kurt Vonnegut and Heart's Ann and Nancy Wilson, and had Electric Light Orchestra's "Hold On Tight" as the theme song. The campaign was criticized by the Center for Science in the Public Interest's Michael F. Jacobson who targeted statements about coffee providing "serenity and contentment" as being incorrect and misleading.
Coffee Achievers was mentioned in the 1985 Weird Al Yankovic song "Dare to Be Stupid" and the 1989 Bad Religion song "Anxiety." In the 1993 LucasArts adventure game Sam & Max Hit the Road, the character Max mentions he's also a coffee achiever during various conversations.
- "National Coffee Association of USA Inc: Private Company Information - BusinessWeek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- Grant Butler, The Oregonian. "Lift a (coffee) cup in celebration of National Coffee Break Day". OregonLive.com. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- "National Coffee Association Challenges Accuracy of NBC TODAY Show Segment on Teens and Coffee". Marketwire.com. 2010-07-21. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- "National Coffee Association of USA". Midwestcoffeetrading.com. Archived from the original on 2008-11-20. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- "About the NCA - National Coffee Association". Ncausa.org. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- Nicholson, Marcy (2011-03-19). "Young adult Americans increase daily coffee drinking". Reuters. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- "Advertising: N. R. Kleinfield Campaign Seeks Lift For Coffee," The New York Times, Friday, September 2, 1983.
- Purcell, David. "Ads linking coffee with achievement called 'misleading,'" The Christian Science Monitor, Friday, December 9, 1983.
- "Dare to Be Stupid" by Weird Al Yankovic (lyrics) – MetroLyrics.
- "Anxiety" by Bad Religion (lyrics) – MetroLyrics.