National Council for Science and the Environment
The National Council for Science and the Environment (NCSE) is a U.S. based non-profit organization which has a mission to improve the scientific basis for environmental decision-making. While an advocate for science and its use, NCSE does not take positions on environmental policies.
NCSE specializes in programs that bring together diverse individuals, institutions and communities to collaborate; particularly the many communities creating and using environmental knowledge, including research, education, environmental, and business organizations, as well as governmental bodies at all levels.
NCSE operates programs in five areas:
- Science solutions - programs that engage different communities to deploy science for decision-making on specific topics. This includes the National Commission on Science for Sustainable Forestry and the Wildlife Habitat Policy Research Program.
- Strengthening education - which includes a University Affiliate Program (~ 160 member schools) with a Council of Environmental Deans and Directors and , a high school mentoring program
- National Conference on Science, Policy and the Environment, a conference begun in 2000 (annual except for 2002)
- The Encyclopedia of Earth. NCSE acts as the Secretariat for the Environmental Information Coalition which is building the Encyclopedia of Earth.
- Science policy - which aims to build understanding of, and support for, environmental science and its application, and for the programs that make it possible. NCSE played an instrumental role in stimulating a National Science Foundation initiative to triple its annual budget for environmental research, education, and scientific assessment.
- National Center for Science Education, an unrelated non-profit which also promotes climate science education
- Global warming
- Earth Science
- Natural environment
- New Economy Coalition
- National Council for Science and the Environment Homepage
- National Council for Science and the Environment Releases “The Climate Solutions Consensus”
- AIBS and National Council for Science and the Environment
- Recommendations for Education for a Sustainable and Secure Future
- Dr. Arden Bement addressing the National Council for Science and the Environment's 5th National Conference.
- Wilson receives NCSE’s Lifetime Achievement Award, Harvard Gazette
- John Holdren, Meeting the Climate-Change Challenge. The John H. Chafee Memorial Lecture, National Council for Science and the Environment, Washington, D.C., January 17, 2008.