National Dance Company Wales
National Dance Company Wales (NDCWales), formerly Diversions, is the national dance company of Wales. It was established in 1983 by Roy Campbell-Moore and Ann Sholem and is funded by the Arts Council of Wales. Formerly known as Diversions, it was renamed in 2009. Caroline Finn is the Artistic Director of National Dance Company Wales, having been appointed the position in 2015.
National Dance Company Wales is a resident company at the Wales Millennium Centre and is a contemporary dance company which performs work from established international choreographers and tours throughout the UK and abroad. Programmes of dance are presented within the format of double and triple bills.
The company also runs a wide range of participation, professional development and "engagement opportunities" for people of all ages. This includes open classes and rehearsals, Summer and Easter dance courses, the Associates programme and support for Wales-based choreographers.
The Dance House
The Dance House is the home of the National Dance Company Wales in the Wales Millennium Centre. It houses two production studios, office space and a lounge area. The main production studio, the Blue Room, includes 100 tiered and retractable seats. The second studio, the Man Gwyn, provides additional rehearsal space and is fitted with ballet barres and mirrors. The Dance House is a production facility and performance space for both NDCWales productions and other dance projects.
Caroline Finn Caroline Finn is NDCWales's Artistic Director and is responsible for the creativity and delivering the company's artistic vision. Caroline trained at the Arts Educational School, Tring and then the Juilliard School, New York, where she attained her BFA in dance. As a dancer, Caroline has performed with Ballett Theatre Munich under the direction of Philip Taylor; Ballet Preljocaj (France); Compagnie Carolyn Carlson (France); Jochen Heckmann and Johanna Richter. Caroline has been a freelance dancer and choreographer since 2009 and her acclaimed solo work Bernadette has toured internationally to festivals in Aix en Provence, Munich, Luzern, Berlin, Kraków, Paris and South Korea. Prior to starting at NDCWales Caroline created work for companies such as Tanz Luzerner Theatre (Switzerland); Cross Connection Ballet (Denmark); Compagnie DIEM (France) and Teatr Groteska (Poland). Between 2013 and 2014 she presented three of her works at the Interdans Festival in Belgium and between 2012 and 2014 she created three full-length works at Theater in Kempten for the opening of their Tanzherbst Festival.
Caroline has worked extensively with young people, creating integrative youth dance performances such as Breaking Light (2011) with Alan Brooks in the mining regions of northern France. A winner of the Matthew Bourne New Adventures Choreographer Award 2014, Caroline created a new work entitled Bloom for Phoenix Dance Theater and she is also a member of Tanztendenz München e.V.
Paul has been the Chief Executive of the company since February 2015, taking overall responsibility for all aspects of the company’s work, including strategy and planning, funding and finance, external partnerships and collaborations and engaging audiences, participants and the wider public.
Prior to this role, Paul was Director of Creative Programmes at the Birmingham Hippodrome, responsible for major outdoor festivals, commissioning new work and the creative learning programme. From 2008 to 2012 he was the West Midlands Creative Programmer for London 2012, commissioning dance participation and performance programmes, as well as many hundreds of diverse cultural events, with audiences and participants totalling 3 million. For twenty years he worked in cultural marketing and audience development – for the Royal Shakespeare Company, Warwick Arts Centre, mac Birmingham and latterly as Chief Executive of Audiences Central, the audience development agency for the West Midlands.
In his role at NDCWales he hopes to inspire existing and new audiences with the power of dance, creating dance in new places and contexts, discovering choreographic talent and taking superb dance made in Wales to the rest of the world.
|Name||Nationality||Training||Joined NDCWales||Other Companies|
|Josef Perou||United Kingdom||Trinity Laban
Central School of Ballet
|2011||Phoenix Dance Theatre
Henri Oguike Dance Company
|Camille Giraudeau||United Kingdom||Arts Educational Schools
|Matteo Marfoglia||Italy||Accademia Nazionale Di Danza
Rotterdam Dance Academy
|Mathieu Geffré||France||Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique et de Danse de Paris||2012||Dansgroep Amsterdam
Noord Nederlandse Dans
|Àngela Boix Duran||Spain||Ballet Conservatoire||2013||IT Dansa Companyia
Noord Nederlandse Dans
|Elena Thomas||France||Ecole Nationale Superieure de Danse de Marseille
Conservatoire national supérieur de musique et de danse de Lyon
|2013||Jeune Ballet Conservatoire National Superieur de Lyon
Ballet National du Rhin
|Joseba Yerro Izaguirre||Spain||Institut del Theatre||2014||Dansa Jove Companyia|
|David Pallant||United Kingdom||Central School of BalletConservatoire National Supérieur de Musique et de Danse de Paris||2015||Oper Graz
Nanine Linning Dance Company
|Josie Sinnadurai (Apprentice)||United Kingdom||London Contemporary Dance School||2015|
|Ed Myhill (Apprentice)||United Kingdom||Rambert School of Ballet and Contemporary Dance||2015|
- Walking Mad Choreographer: Johan Inger (Sweden)
- Tupet Choreographer: Alexander Ekman (Sweden)
- A Mighty Wind Choreographer: Jeroen Verbruggen (Belgium)
- Mythology Choreographer: Stephen Shropshire (Netherlands/USA)
- Water Stories Choreographer: Stephen Petronio (USA)
- Purlieus Choreographer: Lee Johnston (UK)
- They Seek To Find The Happiness They Seem Choreographer: Lee Johnston (UK)
- Dream Choreographer: Christopher Bruce (UK)
- Noces Choreographer: Angelin Preljocaj (France)
- Virtual Descent Choreographer: Eleesha Drennan (Canada)
- B/olero & Black Milk Choreographer: Ohad Naharin (Israel)
- Phantoms of Us Choreographer: Eleesha Drennan (Canada)
- Quixoteland Choreographer: Gustavo Ramirez Sansano (Spain)
- By Singing Light Choreographer: Stephen Petronio (USA)
- Romance Inverse Choreographer: Itzik Galili (Israel)
- Veil of Stars Choreographer: Andonis Foniadakis (Greece)
- Lunatic Choreographer: Nigel Charnock (UK)
- Hinterland Choreographer: Roy Campbell-Moore (Wales)
- >>FORM<< Choreographer: Stijn Celis (Belgium)
- Roy, Sanjoy (2010-02-16). "Step by step guide to dance: National Dance Company Wales". Guardian. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- "National Dance Company Wales". WMC. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Roxelana, Anna (December 2010). "The Arts in Wales: 2011 Preview". Buzz Magazine. p. 16. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- "Participation". NDCWales. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- "NDCWales International Programme". WMC. Retrieved 2011-03-21.