National Energy Commission
|Type||Policy coordination and consultation body|
|State Council of the People's Republic of China|
|Subsidiaries||General Office of the National Energy Commission|
|Affiliations||National Energy Administration|
The National Energy Commission (NEC; simplified Chinese: 国家能源委员会; traditional Chinese: 國家能源委員會會; pinyin: guójiā néngyuán wěiyuánhuì) is an agency established in 2010 to coordinate the overall energy policies for the People's Republic of China. The body includes 23 members from other agencies such as environment, finance, central bank, National Development and Reform Commission.
The purpose of this new commission is to draft a new energy development strategy, evaluate energy security and coordinate international cooperation on climate change, carbon reduction and energy efficiency.
In 2003, National Energy Bureau was created under the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) which reports to the Chinese State Council, which has broad administrative and planning control over energy in the Chinese economy.
In 2008, National Energy Administration (NEA) was established but lacked power to carry out its tasks because the energy sector management was spread between various agencies.
China has experienced power outages, concerns of growing imported energy demands, energy security and challenges coordinating energy supply and demand.
List of chairmen
- Vice Chairmen
- Zhang Gaoli, Vice-Premier, Politburo Standing Committee
- Xiao Jie, Deputy Secretary General of the State Council
- Liu He, General Office chief of the Leading Group for Financial and Economic Affairs
- Wang Yi, Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Xu Shaoshi, Chairman of the National Development and Reform Commission
- Zhang Yi, Chairman of the State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission
- Wan Gang, Minister of Science and Technology
- Miao Wei, Minister of Industry and Information Technology
- Geng Huichang, Minister of State Security
- Lou Jiwei, Minister of Finance
- Jiang Daming, Minister of Land and Resources
- Zhou Shengxian, Minister of Environmental Protection
- Yang Chuantang, Minister of Transport
- Chen Lei, Minister of Water Resources
- Gao Hucheng, Minister of Commerce
- Liu Shiyu, Vice Governor of the People's Bank of China
- Wang Jun, Chair of the State Administration of Taxation
- Yang Dongliang, Director of the State Bureau for Supervision and Safety
- Shang Fulin, Chair of the Commission for Banking Regulation
- Wang Guanzhong, People's Liberation Army Deputy Chief of Staff
- Nur Bekri, Director of the National Energy Administration
- GILLIAN WONG, China sets up energy agency headed by PM, The Associated Press, http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2010911010_apaschinaenergy.html
- Wan Zhihong, (China Daily), Wen heads 'super ministry' for energy, url=http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-01/28/content_9388039.htm
- Fu Jing, (China Daily), Tough road ahead of national energy guiding body, url=http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/opinion/2010-01/29/content_9395682.htm