National Enterprise Corporation
|Industry||Manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, and agribusiness|
|Headquarters||Plot 58, 6th Street
co-deputy managing director
Moses Ddiba Ssentongo
co-deputy managing director
|Products||Guns, bullets, grenades, bombs, medicines, diagnostic kits, cement, and iron sheets|
The National Enterprise Corporation (NEC) is a state-owned corporation in Uganda. It is the commercial arm of the Uganda People's Defence Force (UPDF). NEC was established in 1989 by an Act of the Parliament of Uganda. Its investments and activities include agriculture, manufacturing, healthcare, services, and defense industry projects and companies.
The headquarters of NEC are located at Plot 58, 6th Street, Industrial Area, in Kampala, the capital and largest city of Uganda. The coordinates of the company headquarters are 00°19'04.0"N, 32°36'08.0"E (Latitude:0.317778; Longitude:32.602223).
Organization and operations
The major subsidiaries of NEC include the following:
- NEC Construction Works and Engineering Limited - Involved in construction and engineering work for the military and civilian sectors, including the construction of barracks and civilian houses.
- Luwero Industries Limited - Manufactures and repairs armored vehicles, electronic equipment, ordnance, and agricultural equipment.
- NEC Tractor Hire Scheme Limited - At the time it was established, the objective was to procure tractors and plows and lease them to farmers at sub-county level. The project has had mixed results.
- NEC Farm Katonga - Located in Kisozi Village, Gomba District, on a piece of land measuring 26 square miles (17,000 acres), with over 8,000 head of cattle.
The following are joint ventures between NEC and non-Ugandan entities.
- UgIran Company Limited - Founded in 2008 in Kampala to manufacture and assemble tractors using licensed Massey Ferguson designs. These would be built from Complete Knocked-Down kits (CKD) delivered from ITMCO's Iranian factories. UgIran is a joint venture between Iran Tractor Manufacturing Company (ITMCO) (60 percent) and NEC (40 percent).
- NEC Health World Pharmaceuticals - This is a joint venture with HealthWorld Group. Manufactures pharmaceuticals, diagnostic products, and mosquito nets.
- Sadab Kitatta Kaaya (17 September 2014). "MPs probe 40 boards". The Observer (Uganda). Kampala. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- Butagira, Tabu (22 March 2016). "Brigadiers Ondoga, Ssentongo named NEC bosses". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- NEC (23 March 2016). "National Enterprise Corporation: About Us". Kampala: National Enterprise Corporation (NEC). Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- NEC (23 March 2016). "National Enterprise Corporation: Contact Us". Kampala: National Enterprise Corporation (NEC). Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- Google (28 October 2016). "Location of the Headquarters of National Enterprise Corporation" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 28 October 2016.
- Besigye, Kizza (26 June 2014). "Besigye speaks out on Naads 'militarisation'". The Observer (Uganda). Kampala. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- LIL (23 March 2016). "Luwero Industries Limited: About Us". Nakasongola: Luwero Industries Limited (LIL). Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- Administrator (20 June 2014). "Can the army feed Uganda, when it can't feed itself?". Kampala: Sunrise.ug. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- Mohsen Nazari, Tahmoures Hasangholipour, and Farhang Khalili (2 May 2012). "Identifying and ranking of Iran Tractor Manufacturing Company's export problems and obstacles". African Journal of Business Management. pp. 5702–5709. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- Muwanga, David (3 November 2002). "NEC seek new joint ventures". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 23 March 2016.