National Fire Protection Association
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||Quincy, Massachusetts, US|
|c. 9,000 (2018)|
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) is a United States trade association, albeit with some international members, that creates and maintains private, copyrighted standards and codes for usage and adoption by local governments. The association was formed in 1896 by a group of insurance firms. Its purpose was to standardize the then-new fire sprinkler systems. In 2018, the NFPA claims to have 50,000 members and c. 9,000 volunteers working with the organization through its 250 technical committees.
The association's official mascot Sparky the Fire Dog promotes fire safety education for children.
Codes and standards
The association's codes and standards include:
- NFPA 30, Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code
- NFPA 70, National Electrical Code
- NFPA 70B, Recommended Practice for Electrical Equipment Maintenance
- NFPA 70E, Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace
- NFPA 72, National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code
- NFPA 77, Recommended Practice on Static Electricity
- NFPA 101, Life Safety Code
- NFPA 704, Standard System for the Identification of the Hazards of Materials for Emergency Response
- NFPA 921, Guide for Fire and Explosion Investigations
- NFPA 1001, Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications
- NFPA 1123, Code for Fireworks Display
- NFPA 1600, Standard on Disaster/Emergency Management and Business Continuity/Continuity of Operations Programs
- NFPA 1670, Standard on Operations and Training for Technical Search and Rescue Incidents
- NFPA 1901, Standard for Automotive Fire Apparatus
Sparky the Fire Dog is the official mascot of the National Fire Protection Association. Created in 1951 to promote fire safety education for children, he is a Dalmatian dressed in firefighting gear.
- National Fire Protection Association - NFPA "Trevor Perkes, Online Safety Depot".
- "About NFPA". NFPA. NFPA. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- "NFPA Overview". NFPA. 2018. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
The more than 250 technical committees, comprised of approximately 9,000 volunteers, review public inputs and vote on the revisions in a process that is accredited by the American National Standards Institute.
- "History of Fire Safety Mascots in America". Fire & Life Safety America. Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- "Sparky". Retrieved 2018-07-12.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Fire Protection Association.|