National Geographic (Nordic countries)
|National Geographic Channel|
|Owned by||Fox Networks Group|
(Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International)
|Picture format||576i (SDTV) |
|Audience share||0.2% (2008 in Sweden, )|
|Boxer (Sweden)||Channel 66 (HD)|
|RiksTV (Norway)||Channel 17|
|Televarpið (Faeroe Islands)||Channel 189|
|dna Welho (Finland)||Channel 84|
|Canal Digital (Norway)||Channel 102|
|Com Hem (Sweden)||Channel 53|
Channel 58 (HD)
|Canal Digital||Channel 368|
|DNA (Finland)||Channel 130|
Channel 225 (HD)
|Telia Digital-tv||Channel 25|
|Dansk Bredbånd||Channel 103|
The National Geographic Channel was launched in Scandinavia in September 1997 when BSkyB launched the Sky News & Documentaries channel, carrying National Geographic between 8 p.m. and 2 p.m. (CET) with The Computer Channel between 6 and 8 p.m. and Sky News the remaining time. The broadcasting hours has since then been extended and as of 2006 the channel is broadcasting from noon to 6 a.m., showing CNBC Nordic in the morning.
The channel is carried on most digital cable networks in the region, including TDC Kabel TV and Com Hem. Initially it was only available on satellite from Canal Digital, but it launched on the Viasat satellite platform on 15 August 2006.
In the digital terrestrial networks the channel has been available from the launch of the RiksTV platform in September 2007. In March 2008, the channel received a license to broadcast terrestrially in Sweden, but its launch has been postponed. It is also available terrestrially on the Faeroe Islands. The channel is not available in the Finnish terrestrial network.
The sister channel Adventure One had moderate carriage for some time in Scandinavia. Adventure One was replaced by Nat Geo Wild in some cable networks in 2007. On 24 February 2009, Nat Geo Wild was launched on the Viasat satellite platform. It had then already launched on the Swedish Com Hem network on 8 January 2009.
The National Geographic Channel HD was launched into the Nordic region on the Canal Digital platform on 1 April 2007. In January 2008, the HD channel was launched on the Viasat platform. It came to Com Hem in Sweden on 23 May 2008.
- "Årsrapport 2008" (PDF). Mediamätning i Skandinavien. Cite journal requires
- "Viasat Sänder Nat Geo Wild" (Press release). Viasat. 5 February 2009. Archived from the original on 3 May 2009.
- "Ny naturkanal: Nat Geo Wild" (Press release). Com Hem. 8 January 2009.
- "Viasat lanserar HDTV och två HDTV-kanaler" (Press release). Viasat. 15 January 2008. Archived from the original on 3 May 2009.
- "Com Hem lanserar Eurosport HD och National Geographic Channel HD" (PDF) (Press release). Com Hem. 23 May 2008.
- National Geographic Channel – Change of transponder - Denmark
- National Geographic Channel – Change of transponder - Norway