National Health Commission
Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó Guójiā Wèishēng Jiànkāng Wěiyuánhuì
|Formed||19 March 2018|
|Type||Constituent Department of the State Council (cabinet-level executive department)|
|Parent agency||State Council|
The National Health Commission of the People's Republic of China is a cabinet-level executive department of the State Council which is responsible for formulating national health policies. It was formed on 19 March 2018. The ministry is headquartered in Beijing. The commission is led by a Minister of cabinet rank in the state council. Ma Xiaowei is the current Minister in charge of the Commission and Party Branch Secretary. Its predecessor was the National Health and Family Planning Commission.
Throughout most of PRC's rule since 1954, the national health portfolio has been the responsibility of the Ministry of Health; superseded in 2013 by the National Health and Family Planning Commission.
In March 2018, the Government of the People's Republic of China announced that the National Health and Family Planning Commission was dissolved and that its functions were integrated into the new agency, the National Health Commission.
China is a member of the World Health Organization. Minister Ma reported in the 92nd World Health Assembly, since 1978, China has been focused on improving primary healthcare, develop universal safety net for residents and improving the quality, efficiency and access to primary health care.
On 11 February 2020, in order to manage the ongoing health crisis, the following changes were announced by the NHC :
- Zhang Jin, chief of the Hubei health commission, was replaced by Wang Hesheng, the deputy director of China National Health Commission.
- Liu Yingzi, director of the Hubei health commission, was replaced by Wang Hesheng.
The following agencies directly report to the commission.
- Sub-ministry-level executive agencies of the State Council aimistrated by the NHC
- National Administration of Traditional Chinese Medicine -
- National Administration of Disease Control and Prevention
- Institutions directly under the NHC
- Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention - national institution for prevention and control of disease
- Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences a.k.a. Peking Union Medical College
- Hospitals directly under the NHC
List of ministers
|No.||Name||Took office||Left office||Notes|
|1||Ma Xiaowei||19 March 2018||Incumbent|
|No.||Name||Took office||Left office|
|1||Li Bin||16 March 2013||March 2018|
|No.||Name||Took office||Left office|
|1||Li Dequan||November 1949||January 1965|
|2||Qian Xinzhong||January 1965||June 1968|
|3||Qiu Guoguang (邱国光)||June 1968||June 1970|
|4||Chen Renhong (陈仁洪)||June 1970||July 1973|
|5||Liu Xiangping (刘湘屏)||July 1973||October 1976|
|6||Jiang Yizhen (江一真)||November 1977||April 1979|
|(2)||Qian Xinzhong||April 1979||May 1982|
|7||Cui Yueli (崔月犁)||May 1982||March 1987|
|8||Chen Minzhang (陈敏章)||March 1987||March 1998|
|9||Zhang Wenkang||March 1998||April 2003|
|10||Wu Yi||April 2003||April 2005|
|11||Gao Qiang||April 2005||June 2007|
|12||Chen Zhu||June 2007||16 March 2013|
- "China's new cabinet members endorsed". China Daily. 19 March 2018. Archived from the original on 28 May 2019. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- 国家卫生健康委员会正式“挂牌”. ifeng (in Chinese). 27 March 2018. Archived from the original on 22 February 2019. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- "China shares experiences in primary health care at 72nd World Health Assembly - Xinhua | English.news.cn". www.xinhuanet.com. Archived from the original on 9 January 2020. Retrieved 25 January 2020.
- "'Grave situation' as coronavirus claims another life". www.9news.com.au. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
- Kuo, Lily (11 February 2020), "China fires two senior Hubei officials over coronavirus outbreak", The Guardian