National Health and Family Planning Commission
Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó
Guójiā Wèishēng Hé Jìhuà Shēngyù Wěiyuánhuì
|Parent agency||State Council|
National Health and Family Planning Commission of the People's Republic of China (NHFPC) was the executive agency under the State Council which is responsible for providing information, raising health awareness and education, family planning, ensuring the accessibility of health services, monitoring the quality of health services provided to citizens and visitors in the mainland, population and family planning in the People's Republic of China. In March 2018, the ministry was dissolved and its functions were integrated into the new agency called the National Health Commission.
The Ministry is created from the former Ministry of Health and National Population and Family Planning Commission. This was announced at the 2013 National People's Congress.
Since 16 March 2013, the commission is headed by Li Bin.
Functions and responsibilities
The commission reports directly to the State Council. Its functions include: 
- Drafting laws, regulations, plans and policies related to public health
- Formulating policies for maternity and child-care programs
- Overseeing disease prevention and treatment
- Controlling the spread of epidemics
- Supervising blood collection
- Reforming medical institutions
- Overseeing state hospitals
- Drawing up medical science and technology development projects
- Setting quality standards for foods and cosmetics
- Overseeing medical education and setting related standards
- Controlling the Beijing Medical College and the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences; and
- Overseeing the State Administration of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Population control
- Family planning
List of Commissioners
|№||Name||Took office||Left office|
|1||Li Bin||16 March 2013||March 2018|
|2||Ma Xiaowei||March 2018||present|
- Deng, Shasha. "China to merge health ministry, family planning commission". Xinhua. Archived from the original on 13 March 2013. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-01-18. Retrieved 2013-03-16.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- National Health and Family Planning Commission[dead link]
- National Health and Family Planning Commission (in Chinese)
- Ministry of Health
- The State Council
- Ministry of Health (in Chinese)
- "Critical health literacy: a case study from China in schistosomiasis control"
- "Children's Health and Care" in China.
- "Relationship with China's Ministry of Health and the Chinese Nursing Association" in the University of Michigan.