National High School, Basavanagudi
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
National High School (or NHS,Kannada:ನ್ಯಾಷನಲ್ ಹೈಸ್ಕೂಲ್) is a government-aided high school in Bangalore, India. It is in the southern part of Bangalore, in a location called Basavanagudi. With grades/classes for 8th, 9th and 10th, the school caters to every meritorious student regardless of their religion or caste. The late Dr.H. Narasimhaiah, who strived to keep the public school system up and running, contributed to the school immensely.
National High School has a very historic beginning closely tied with the Indian freedom movement. In order to spread the spirit of social freedom to all the corners of the country, Dr. Annie Besant (founder of Center for World Theosophy ) along with others, set up a number of "national" institutions. One such institution is National High School in Bangalore, started in 1917.
The National High School has been a host to several freedom fighters including Mahatma Gandhi who visited the school on a couple of occasions to propagate the spirit of a free India.
"Core Values of the National High School, apart from having a spirit of service and sacrifice are the ethical and spiritual values and a sense of dedication to National purposes. Character building for the youth is the AIM".
Later, Dr. H. Narasimhaiah (HN), also a student of National High School, and a Principal of The National College, Basavanagudi, played a key role in the growth of these institutions. He later became the Vice Chancellor of Bangalore University and was awarded the Padma Bhushan by the Government of India for his self less service for betterment of education.
Today, National Education Society (NES), the parent body of National High School and National College, has a total of fourteen educational institutions, most of them serving the rural areas, around Bangalore. To this day, NES has refrained from accepting donations and their focus is to provide education to the needy sections of the society, a value imbibed from the Mahatma. This tradition is being continued to this day by Dr. A H Rama Rao, President of National Education Society, who encourages Udyam Trust in its activities.
Admission is open to everyone without regard to religion, caste or creed. There is a minimum requirement of an overall score of 85%–90% in the seventh standard exam a student has to obtain in order to seek admission in this school.
There are five sections for each grade/class, A-E. For each section there are five leaders elected, normally three boys and two girls. Among all the 25 leaders, nominations are sought and three leaders are elected to represent the school. This election process is annual.
- Science Centre
- Computer Lab
- Table tennis
- smart board
- D.V.Nagesh - Mathematics (Head Master)
- Dr. Venkatarama Bhattar – Sanskrit (Pratibha Bhushana awardee)
- Dr. Sridhar Hegde - Sanskrit
- H. Nagabhushan Rao (retired) - Science
- V.R. – Kannada famous professor
- S.G.R – Science and others
- HSM – Physics
- BRC – Mathematics
- DRV – Biology
- HR – Mathematics
- S.R Pankaja – History/Social Studies
- H.G Rajalakhmi – Biology
- K.C and I.S.A - (Physical Education)
- C.S.B - Kannada (Kempegowda, Best teacher awardee)
- C.S.P - Drawing, Drama activities, Rotary etc..
Alumni Associations have been formed using Yahoogroups, Orkut or Facebook.
Udyam  headed by alumni, to give back to the school, has been started.
- H.D. Kumaraswamy – ex-Chief Minister of Karnataka.
- Anil Kumble - Cricketer
- Ramesh Aravind - Film actor
- Chandrashekar - Cricketer
- Chandrashekar - Film Actor
- Dr Vishnuvardhan - Film Actor
- Prabhakara – IAS (Retd) - Chief Secretary of the government of Karnataka.
- Raghunath. N – Deputy Manager, Bharat Electronics Limited, Ministry Of Defence, Government of India
- Karthik, Y M – Assistant Professor – electronics and communication.
- Arjun, K R – Assistant Professor – electronics and communication.
- Vinayak Joshi - Film Actor
- Arjun Sarja - Famous Movie Actor
- Sunil Rao - Film Actor
- Srujan Lokesh - Stand up Comedian
- EAS Prasanna - Cricketer
- Prakash Podukone - Ex Badmintion Player
- Muralidhara Thimmiah - Senior Lecturer at University of Washington, USA
- "From the hallowed portals". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 16 March 2017.
- "ಚಳವಳಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ನ್ಯಾಷನಲ್ ಕಾಲೇಜ್ಗೂ ಪಾಲು". m.prajavani.net. 8 Aug 2013. Retrieved 16 March 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National High School, Basavanagudi.|