National Highway 309A (India)
Map of the National Highway in red
|Length||126 km (78 mi)|
National Highway 309A, commonly referred to as NH 309A, is a single lane highway connecting the city of Rameshwar to Almora in the Indian State of Uttarakhand. Before the separation of Uttarakhand in 2000, the Almora-Bageshwar stretch of this Highway was a part of the State Highway 37 of Uttar Pradesh, which ran from Bageshwar to Bareilly.
The Almora-Bageshwar stretch of this Highway was a part of the provincial 'Almora-Joshimath cart road' during the nineteenth century. The road had a steep descent on the way to Thakla (now Takula), and was surrounded by dense forests of Oak and Rhododendrons. However, the hills were covered by very fine Cheer forests between Thakla and Bageshwar. Later in 1909; several sections of the highway were recorded in the Almora Gazetter as "III class local roads", including the 24 mile 'Gangolihat to Dharamghar road' and the 22 mile 'Bageshwar to Berinag road'.
National Highway 309B
An Alternate highway, known as National Highway 309B or NH309B also connects the cities of Almora and Rameshwar. It cuts down the travel distance to 66 km by covering a direct route rather than taking the long route of 126 km via Bageshwar.
- "Rationalization of Numbering Systems of National Highways" (PDF). Govt of India. 28 April 2010. Retrieved 21 August 2011.
- "Complete Road_Detail's_SH" (PDF). Public Works Department, Government of Uttar Pradesh. Archived from the original (PDF) on 11 June 2016. Retrieved 23 October 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Gamble, J.S. (1882). The Indian Forester. Calcutta: The Calcutta Central Press Co. ltd. p. 210. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- Walton, H.G. (1911). Almora: A Gazetter. Allahabad: The Government Press, United Provinces. p. xxvi.
- "नेशनल हाइवे में बने गड्ढे दुर्घटना को दे रहे दावत- Amarujala". Amar Ujala. 20 March 2017. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "New highways notification dated March, 2014" (PDF). The Gazette of India - Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. Retrieved 4 July 2018.
- "Declaration of National Highways in Uttarakhand". pib.nic.in. Press Information Bureau, Government Of India. Retrieved 10 April 2017.