National Highway 67 (India)(old numbering)
|Length:||520 km (320 mi)|
|From:||Nagapattinam, Tamil Nadu|
|States:||Tamil Nadu: 505 km
Karnataka: 50 km
|Nagapattinam - Tanjore - Trichy - Karur - Coimbatore - Ooty - Gudalur - Gundlupet|
National Highway 67 is a National Highway in Southern Indian states of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. It runs from Nagapattinam, a sea-side town in Tamil Nadu to Gundlupet in Karnataka near the intersection of National Highway 212. The most important cities connected by this highway are Coimbatore and Trichy and other important towns connected by this highway are Nagapattinam, Thiruvarur, Tanjore, Karur, Kangayam, Mettupalayam, Ooty. This highway traverses the wider middle region of Tamil Nadu. The total length of NH 67 runs to 555 km (345 mi). The National Highway 67 along with National Highway 212 connects city of Mysuru via Gundlupet with Ooty. The NH 67 passes through Bandipur National Park in Karnataka state. There has been reports of wild animals being killed by speeding vehicles in this highway.
And there is a proposal for extension of this highway as NH 67-A, which splits from Karur towards Erode, and reaches Mysore through Sathy & Chamarajanagar and to Bangalore through Anthiyur & Kanakapura.
NH 67 runs along the southern banks of Kaveri river between Trichy and Karur. The road between Karur and Coimbatore for a distance of 114.4 km (71.1 mi) is being widened into two/four lanes expressway and the project will be complete by August 2009. The 67 km (42 mi) distance between Thanjavur and Trichy is widened by Madhucon Projects Ltd. The 79.7 km (49.5 mi) distance between Trichy and Karur is widened by Reliance Infrastructure. The Coonoor-Mettupalayam section was shut in 2010 due to landslides caused by heavy rains in the region. Subsequently, the National Highways Authority of India had the road re-laid which got eroded, again due to rains. In 2012, the Highways Department decided to initiate criminal proceedings against the NHAI, under Section 133 of Criminal Penal Code, dealing with acts endangering human life, due to non maintenance of the road.
NH67 through Coimbatore city
Palladam(Tirupur district) - Kangayampalayam - Sulur - Karanampattai - Irugur - Chintamani pudur(Coimbatore bypass junction of NH 47) - Singanallur - Ramanathapuram - Olumpus - Sungam junction - Government Hospital - Lanka Corner - Big Bazzar street - Town Hall - Sukrawarpattai - RG Street - North Coimbatore Chintamani - Saibaba Temple - Koundampalayam junction - Thudiyalur - Narasimhanaickenpalayam - Periyanaickenpalayam - Karamadai - Mettupalayam.
Sulur - Mettupalayam Bypass
An Eastern bypass road project from Sulur to Mettupalayam in Coimbatore connecting NH-67 with NH-67, again bypassing with Coimbatore city is likely to begin on 2011(mid-June). The streach from Sulur would be from Kangeyampalayam, Neelambur, Mayilampatty. Vehicles from Kangayam, Karur, Trichy, Dindukal, Madurai and other southern districts, of Tamil Nadu could proceed to Mettupalayam and Ooty without having to enter Coimbatore city. Three rail-overbridges would come up at Sulur, Narasimhanaickenpalayam & Karamadai.The entire stretch of Mettupalayam bypass road from Coimbatore would be 53.95 km. by pass is needed badly in every cities of india.
- "National Highways and their lengths". Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India. National Highways Authority of India. Retrieved 2009-02-12.
- NHAI website
- Karur to Coimbatore road widening
-  Thanjavur to Karur widening-Source-National Highways Authority of India (NHAI)
- "Traffic resumes on Mettupalayam-Coonoor Road". Coimbatore: The Hindu. 2010-01-15. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- Thiagarajan, Shantha (2010-10-20). "Rs 6 crore down the drain, Ooty highways is a gaping hole now". Chennai: The Times of India. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- D., Radhakrishnan (2012-03-27). "Criminal proceedings likely against NHAI". Udhagamandalam: The Hindu. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- "Widening of Coimbatore-Karur highway begins". Tirupur: The Hindu. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "Rinfra completes four-laning Trichy-Dindigul". Mumbai: The Hindu. 2011-01-11. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- "Reliance Infrasructure - Roads". Reliance Infrastructure. Retrieved 18 May 2012. Check date values in:
- "Madhucon bags Rs 1,500-cr highway project". Hyderabad: The Hindu. 2010-03-21. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- Staff Reporter (2012-05-14). "Strengthening of 80-km stretch on NH awaits Centre's approval". Tamil Nadu: The Hindu. Retrieved 16 May 2012.