National Human Rights Commission of Bangladesh
|National Human Rights Commission|
জাতীয় মানবাধিকার কমিশন (এনএইচআরসিবি)
|Motto||Human Rights for All, Everywhere, Equally|
মানবাধিকার সবার জন্য, সর্বত্র, সমানভাবে
|Formed||9 December 2007|
|National agency||The People's Republic of Bangladesh|
|Operations jurisdiction||The People's Republic of Bangladesh|
|Parent agency||Legislative and Parliamentary Affairs Division|
|Statutory Independent Institution of the states||NHRC|
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) (Bengali: জাতীয় মানবাধিকার কমিশন) of Bangladesh is an autonomous public body which came into existence on 9 December 2007. It was established by the Caretaker government of Bangladesh. The organization was constituted under the provisions of the National Human Rights Commission Ordinance. It was reestablished by the National Human Rights Commission Act, 2009 after the original ordinance lapsed. Then it was reconstituted in 2009 as a national advocacy institution for human rights promotion and protection. It is committed to the accomplishment of human rights in a broader sense, including dignity, worth and freedom of every human being, as enshrined in the Constitution of the People's Republic of Bangladesh and different international human rights conventions and treaties to which Bangladesh is a signatory.
The purpose of establishing such splendid institution is to contribute to the embodiment of human dignity and integrity as well as to the safeguard of the basic order of democracy so that inalienable fundamental human rights of all individuals are protected and the standards of human rights are improved in the country. Established by the National Human Rights Commission Act, 2009 in consonance with Bangladesh's commitment to international human rights law, the Commission serves as a mechanism for the enrichment of the realization of human rights. Its journey is aimed at creating a culture of human rights through public enlightenment on diverse human rights issues so that the people of the country can contribute to larger peace and security keeping in pace with the ‘progressive aspirations of humankind.’
A Selection Committee is formed consisting of seven members under headed by Speaker of the Parliament. Based upon its recommendation the President of Bangladesh appoints the Chairman and Members of the Commission.
- It lodged complaints against Border Security Forces of India over Felani Killing with the National Human Rights Commission of India.
- It holds surveys regarding perceptions about human rights in Bangladesh.
- It campaigns against Human Rights abuses and extrajudicial killings in Bangladesh.
- "Ex-secy Nasima Begum made NHRC chairman". Prothom Alo. Retrieved 22 September 2019.
- "About". www.nhrc.org.bd. Retrieved 2 January 2016.
- ET Bureau. "NHRC directs MHA to pay Rs 5 lakh to Felani Khatun's father". timesofindia-economictimes. Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. Retrieved 2 January 2016.
- Ahmed, Kawser. "Decoding HR perceptions in Bangladesh". thedailystar.net. The Daily Star. Retrieved 2 January 2016.
- "BANGLADESH: Calls for end to torture, extrajudicial killings". IRINnews. IRIN. Retrieved 2 January 2016.