National Ilan University
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008)|
|National Ilan University|
|Motto||篤學, 力行, 敬業, 樂群|
Motto in English
|Studying diligently, practicing with earnestness, developing a respectful attitude toward professionalism|
|Established||12 May 1926 (reformed in 2003)|
|President||Dr. Han‐Chieh Chao (趙涵捷)|
|Location||Yilan City, Yilan County, Taiwan|
|National Ilan University|
National Ilan University was one of the very first institutions of higher education in Taiwan, and was originally founded as the Taiwan Provincial Ilan School of Agriculture and Forestry on 12 May 1926. Since then, the name and focus of the institution have undergone a number of changes, from a having been a five-year junior college (National Ilan Junior College of Agriculture and Technology), and a polytechnic college (National Ilan Institute of Technology). In 2003, the school was further reformed into its current status as a comprehensive university, offering BA, BS, MA and MS degrees in four colleges.
NIU has four colleges: Humanities and Management, Engineering, Bioresources, and Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. Also, there are 13 departments and 17 graduate institutions. The newest of the Graduate Programs is the MA Program in Foreign Languages & Literatures, the focus of which is the literature in English of nations within the Asian Pacific Rim region.
Striving to create a first-class comprehensive university, NIU has formulated the following education objectives:
- Develop outstanding teaching features which may nurture the creativity and integrity of students.
- Enhance learning by providing excellent digitalized teaching and e-learning environment.
- Enrich the curriculum design, course materials and teaching quality.
- Provide a balanced training in both science and humanities by the diverse curriculum and learning environment.
- Develop students' global competitiveness by enhancing their foreign language competence.
In terms of research, NIU aims to:
- Enhance faculty research by providing abundant library collections and laboratory equipment.
- Provide integrated and consolidated research resources which may enable the faculty to focus on the research areas of their interests.
- Raise overall competitiveness by cooperating with the local community and industries.
At present, the university has 150 laboratories, one computer center, a number of computerized language labs, and an Analysis and Technology Consulting Center which cooperates with local industries on their manufacturing and production. In 2006, the university also established an Incubator Center, which assists local industries in research and development. In addition to the aforementioned facilities and resources, NIU also has a library that occupies nearly 1.7 ha (4.2 acres) and holds over 200,000 books, including nearly 1000 periodicals relating to various research fields. In early 2006, NIU was granted the capacity to serve as the GigaPoP ("gigabit point-of-presence") for Taiwan Advanced Research & Education Network (TWAREN). As a result, NIU is in charge of providing a high-bandwidth network connection to research and academic institutes within Ilan county.
- Mobility Network Laboratory
- University website (English)