National Institute for Discovery Science
|Headquarters||Las Vegas, Nevada|
The National Institute for Discovery Science (NIDSci) was a privately financed research organization based in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, and operated from 1995 to 2004.
It was founded in 1995 by real-estate developer Robert Bigelow, who set it up to research and advance serious study of various fringe science, and paranormal topics, most notably ufology. Deputy Administrator Colm Kelleher, Ph.D. was quoted as saying the organization was not designed to study UFO's only. "We don't study aliens, we study anomalies. They're the same thing in a lot of people's minds, but not in our minds."
The NIDSci at various times employed scientists such as Eric W. Davis, who has worked for NASA on topics related to the claims of Eugene Podkletnov and who has also worked for the Institute for Advanced Studies at Austin.
NIDSci was disbanded in October 2004.
The National Institute for Discovery Science, known also as NIDS, was founded by Robert Bigelow serving as a way to channel funds into the scientific study of paranormal phenomena. The NIDS performed research in the area of cattle mutilation and became the FAA's sole recipient for black triangle reports.[vague] In 2002, NIDS issued a report which said the black triangles were U.S. military prototype blimps, a finding agreed to by other experts but not confirmed by the military.
A hotline was established in 1999 to receive reports of odd occurrences. Over 5,000 calls and e-mails were received by the organization.[vague] Officials say many were explained as missile test launches and meteors.
- Dorio Mark (2005) "Ufology: A Very Short Introduction", Trafford Publishing, ISBN 1-4120-6473-2
- Mercer, Brandon M. "The UFO Hunters - Scientists at the National Institute for Discovery Science study anomalous phenomena". UFO Evidence. Retrieved 2007-06-30.
- David, Leonard. "Investigation Casts Light on Mysterious Flying Black Triangle". www.space.com. Retrieved 2007-06-30.
- Knapp, George. "Las Vegas Based Scientists Study Skinwalker Ranch". Channel 8 Eyewitness News. Retrieved 2007-06-30.
- Whiting, Lezlee E. "Mysteries of UFO ranch in spotlight". Deseret News. Retrieved 2007-06-30.
- NIDSci Official Website (static image of NIDSci logo, no text or hyperlinks)
- Snapshot of NIDSci site at the Internet Archive (archived October 7, 2007)
- NIDS - Robert Bigelow — a collection of news articles about the NIDS' early days
- The UFO Hunters - Scientists at National Institute for Discovery Science study anomalous phenomena
- Where the Steers and the Aliens Play an article by Sean Castel in Fate, August, 1998
- The End of the National Institute for Discovery Science (NIDS)
- Bigelow’s Aerospace and Saucer Emporium, Skeptical Inquirer 33.4, July/August 2009