National Institute of Design
|National Institute of Design|
|Type||Autonomous National Institution|
|Location||Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India|
Coordinates: The National Institute of Design (NID) is India's premier design school in Ahmedabad, India. The institute functions as an autonomous body under the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, government of India. NID is recognised by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research under Ministry of Science and Technology, government of India, as a scientific and industrial design research organisation.
On the 17th July 2014, National Institute of Design, India’s premier and first design institute was declared 'Institution of National Importance’ by the Act of Parliament, by virtue of the National Institute of Design Act.
The institute has three campuses:
- The heritage campus at the Paldi, Ahmedabad,
- The postgraduate campus at the National Institute of Design, Gandhinagar established on 19 July 2004 to move the postgraduate courses from the heritage campus,
- The R&D campus at Bangalore established on 31 March 2006 offers 2 IT Integrated courses (Information and Interface Design, Design for Digital Experience and Design for Retail Experience).
As a result of the Industrial Policy Resolution of 1953, the government of India invited the design team of Charles and Ray Eames to recommend a programme of design to serve as an aid to small industries in India. On the basis of their document, 'The India Report', the government of India set up the National Institute of Design in 1961 as an autonomous national institution for research, service and training in Industrial Design and Visual Communication. Designer and sculptor Dashrath Patel was its founder secretary, he held the post till 1981, and was awarded the Padma Shri in the same year.
The institute offers two kinds of courses:
- Bachelor of Design (B.Des)
- Master of Design (M.Des)
The 4 year undergraduate program is offered in 8 design disciplines under three faculties. Eligibility criteria for B.Des: Candidates having completed 12 years of schooling are eligible to apply. Admissions is based upon a highly competitive national test known as NID Design Aptitude Test conducted around second week of January.
The Faculty of Communication Design offers undergraduate degrees in four disciplines:
- Animation Film Design
- Exhibition Design
- Film and Video Communication
- Graphic Design
The Faculty of Industrial Design offers undergraduate degrees in three disciplines:
- Ceramic & Glass Design
- Furniture and Interior Design
- Product Design
The Faculty of Textile Design offers undergraduate degrees in Textile discipline.
The creation of four NIDs was suggested as part of the Government's 2007 National Design Policy. The plan envisages new NIDs in four states, namely Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Haryana and Madhya Pradesh. The aim is to have the NIDs operational by 2016.
- NID Jorhat : The foundation stone Jorhat campus was laid by Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in February 2011,
- NID Kurukshetra : The foundation stone for Kurukshetra campus was laid by Union Minister for Commerce and Industry Anand Sharma in May 2013.
- NID Vijayawada : The foundation stone for the Hyderabad campus was laid by Union Minister for Industry, Commerce & Textiles Sri. Anand Sharma in May 2013. Finally, the cabinet decided that the NID will come up in Vijayawada instead of Hyderabad.
- NID, Bhopal.
- Prasoon Pandey
- Kiran Bir Sethi
- Pan Nalin
- Dayanita Singh
- Paromita Banerjee
- Rahul Mishra 
- Sujata Keshavan
- Suhasini Paul
- Parthiv Shah
- Paul Sandip
- Aditya Pande
- "No product can succeed without a good design: Anand Mahindra". Ahmedabad. The Economic Times. 27 December 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-31.
- "Dashrath Patel`s death marks end of a design era". Zee News. 3 December 2010.
- "Railway Design Center to be setup at National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad". news.biharprabha.com. 11 April 2015. Retrieved 14 April 2015.
- "PPP model for new NIDs Nixed - Times of India, Ahmedabad. Times City section, page 6. 1st April 2012". Epaper.timesofindia.com. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- Sushanta Talukdar (2011-02-19). ""Centre committed to development of Assam, northeast: Manmohan". The Hindu, 19th February 2011". Thehindu.com. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- Parizaad Khan (9 August 2008). "Rahul Mishra: ashion designer". Livemint. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- "Indian designer Rahul Mishra wins top Milan Fashion Week prize". The Economic Times. 21 Feb 2014. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- PINK ELEFANT
- Paul Studio
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Institute of Design.|
- Official website
- D-Schools: The Global List - BusinessWeek
- MIT Institute of Design, Pune, Maharashtra, India
- SILICA NID Entrance Info
- AFS Academy of Fashion Studies, New Delhi, India