National Institute of Fashion Technology
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Location||New Delhi (Headquarters), India
|Affiliations||Ministry of Textiles, Government of India|
National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) is a group of fashion colleges in India. It was established in 1986 under the aegis of the Ministry of Textiles, Government of India  and is an institution of design, management and technology for the international fashion business.
With its head office in New Delhi, NIFT has centers at Bangalore, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Gandhinagar, Hyderabad, Jodhpur, Kangra, Kannur, Kolkata, Mumbai, Patna, Raebareli, Shillong, and Srinagar.
The Institute is currently headed by a director-general, Sarada Muraleedharan.
NIFT offers four-year undergraduate, as well as two-year post-graduate, programmes in the areas of design, management, and technology. In order to secure admission in Bachelor of Design (B.Des) as well as Master of Design (M.Des) programmes offered at NIFT, students need to take two written admission tests called the Creative Ability Test (CAT) and the General Ability Test (GAT).
For other courses such as Bachelor of Fashion Technology (BFTech), Master of Fashion Technology (MFTech) and Master of Fashion Management (MFM), aspirants need to take only the GAT.
NIFT organises its own entrance exam yearly in India. The NIFT admission process comprises three stages. Candidates need to first appear for a written test. Students who make it to the rank-list in this test are then eligible to appear for the situation test, and then the personal interview round.
- "Autonomous Bodies". Ministry of Textiles. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- The National Institute of Fashion Technology Bill, 2006 passed by Parliament Press Information Bureau, Ministry of Textiles, Govt. of India. 23 May 2006.
- New Fashion School in India Draws From a Rich Heritage, by Barbara Crossette, New York Times, 21 June 1989.
- "Campuses". National Institute of Fashion Technology. 2016. Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- "NIFT Campus at Ludhiana to come up soon says Textile Minister". Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- Bhat, Afsana (17 December 2009). "Fashion technology institute to be set up in Srinagar". The Herald of India. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- "Administrative setup". Retrieved 2017-01-28.
- "NIFT 2016: Exam dates released". India Today. 28 October 2015. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Best Fashion Schools In The World For 2017". CEOWORLD magazine. Retrieved April 25, 2017.
- "NIFT ranked 19th among world's best fashion schools 2017, USA's Parsons tops list". FashionNetwork. Retrieved June 14, 2017.