National Institute of Open Schooling
|Type||Governmental Board of Education|
|Headquarters||Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Pro. Saroj Sharma|
|Ministry of Human Resource Development|
The National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS), formerly National Open School, (name changed in 2002) is the board of education under the Union Government of India. It was established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development of the Government of India in 1989 to provide education to all segments of society under the motive to increase literacy and aimed forward for flexible learning. The NIOS is a national board that administers examinations for Secondary and Senior Secondary examinations similar to the CBSE and the CISCE. It also offers vocational courses after the high school.
NIOS had a cumulative enrollment of about 1.5 million students from 2004 to 2009 at secondary and senior secondary levels and enrolls about 350,000 students annually which makes it the largest open schooling system in the world.
International collaboration and overseas centres
The NIOS collaborates with the Commonwealth of Learning (COL) and UNESCO. It also has study centres for Indian expatriates in the Bahrain, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Kuwait, Nepal, Canada, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Australia, United Kingdom, New Zealand, Malaysia, Singapore and the United States of America.
NIOS offer the following courses:
- Open Basic Education Programme, which includes following three levels courses
- OBE 'A' Level course—Equivalent to class III
- OBE 'B' Level course—Equivalent to class V
- OBE 'C' Level course—Equivalent to class VIII
- Secondary Course—Equivalent to class X
- Senior Secondary Course—Equivalent to class XII
- Vocational Education Courses
- Life enrichment programmes
- D.EL.ED. course
The public examinations are held twice a year in April–May and October–November on dates fixed by the NIOS. However, one also eligible to appear through the On-Demand Examinations at Level and Senior Secondary level in those subjects only in which candidates have taken admission in NIOS for subject wise learning. Results of the public examinations are announced usually six weeks after the last date of examinations.
Past Years' Result Statistics
|Exam Session||10th Class Stats||12th Class Stats|
|Students Appeared||Passed||Students Appeared||Passed|
|April 2019||Around 1.7 lakh||34.42%||Around 1.8 lakh||-|
Regional offices of the board
|Regional offices||Jurisdiction/States covered|
|Delhi I||East Delhi, North Delhi, North East Delhi, North West Delhi, Jhajjar, Gautam Budh Nagar and Ghaziabad|
|Delhi II||South Delhi, West Delhi, South West Delhi, Central Delhi, New Delhi, Gurgaon and Faridabad|
|Pune||Maharashtra and Goa, Daman and Diu|
|Chandigarh||Haryana (excluding Faridabad, Gurgaon and Jhajjar), Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Jammu and Kashmir and Chandigarh|
|Kolkata||Sikkim, West Bengal and Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Subcentre Bhubaneswar|
|Chennai||Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry|
|Guwahati||Assam, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Tripura, Mizoram, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur|
- Board of High School and Intermediate Education Uttar Pradesh (UP Board), India
- Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), India
- Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE), India (ICSE and ISC examinations are conducted by CISCE )
- Indian School Certificate (ISC), India
- Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE), India
- Secondary School Leaving Certificate (SSLC)
- West Bengal Board of Secondary Education (WBBSE), India
- Board of Secondary Education, Madhya Pradesh (MPBSE), India
- Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education (MSBSHSE), India
- All India Institute of Open Schooling Board Delhi (AIIOS), India
- "National Institute Of Open Schooling". Nos.org. 19 February 2012. Archived from the original on 7 March 2012. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- "pub_PS_OpenSchooling_web" (PDF). Col.org. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "International Centre for Training in Open Schooling". Nos.org. 16 November 1945. Archived from the original on 25 February 2012. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- Majumdar Sahil, Pallavi (15 October 2002). "Open school for UAE expats". Times of India. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Evaluation System". NIOS. Retrieved 9 July 2013.