National Institute of Statistics and Census of Costa Rica
|Costa Rican Censuses|
The National Institute of Statistics and Census of Costa Rica (Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Censos de Costa Rica, or INEC, in Spanish) is the governmental institution entrusted with the running of censuses and official surveys in the country. Its main office is located in San José.
INEC was first called Oficina Central de Estadística about its foundation in 1861. Later, in 1951, it was called Dirección General de Estadística y Censos, until 1998, when INEC was its legal name. INEC ran its first census in 1864, and the latest was the 10th population and the 6th dwellings census, held in June 2011.
Censuses in Costa Rica
- 1864. First Population Census.
- 1883. Second Population Census.
- 1892. Third Population Census.
- 1927. Fourth Population Census.
- 1950. Fifth Population Census.
- 1963. Sixth Population Census.
- 1973. Seventh Population Census. Available at CCP.
- 1984. Eighth Population Census. Available at CCP.
- 2000. Ninth Population Census. Available at CCP.
- 2011. Tenth Population Census.
- INEC website (in spanish only)
- Central American Population Center website (in spanish only). Centro Centroamericano de Población (CCP), organization in charge of demographic studies, has information about the census that can be accessed online.