National Institute of Technology Goa
|राष्ट्रीय प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान, गोवा|
|Motto||सा विद्या या विमुक्तये
Sa Vidya Ya Vimuktaye
Motto in English
|True Knowledge Liberates|
|Chairman||Dr. V. K. Aatre|
|Director||Prof. Udaykumar Yaragatti|
|Location||Farmagudi, Goa, India|
The National Institute of Technology Goa(Hindi:राष्ट्रीय प्रोद्योगिकी संस्थान, गोवा) (also known as NIT Goa or NITG) is an engineering institution in the Indian state of Goa. It was founded in 2010 being one of the 31 National Institutes of Technology in India and is recognised as an Institute of National Importance. It admitted its first batch of students in 2010-11.
The NITG is one of ten newly set up NITs  during the 11th Five Year Plan by the Ministry of Human Resources Development (HRD). The institute was to be set up using Rs 250 crore provided by central government. The first batch of students was admitted and academic activities of NIT Goa were started in the year 2010-11. During its initial years, NIT Goa was mentored by National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal  and the Goa State Government had proposed that 50% of the seats in this Institute should be reserved for the State of Goa. However, the Union HRD ministry wants Daman and Diu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Lakshwadweep students to be grouped with Goa students for the 50% reservation.
The campus is located at Farmagudi, Ponda approximately 29 km southeast of Panaji, the capital of Goa and it is a temporary campus. The state of Goa is well connected by road ways, rail ways and air ways with various parts of the country. At present NIT Goa is temporarily accommodated and functioning in the Goa Engineering College (GEC) Campus located at Farmagudi, Goa. For the permanent campus, an area of 300 acres, spanning from Cuncolim to Balli, was identified by the state but the project ran into trouble when locals objected to the proposal as 50% exclusive reservation was not promised for Goan students. The former Chief Minister of Goa, Mr. Manohar Parrikar reiterated that no land will be given to the institute if 50% reservation is not provided for Goan students. The Government of India finally decided to reserve 50 per cent of the seats exclusively for Goan students in the National Institute of Technology, Goa from academic year 2012-13.
NIT Goa awards undergraduate B.Tech in various engineering fields in a four-year programme.The institute has 3 departments presently and support centres with 298 students,19 faculty members and 17 members of the support staff.
departments presently at NIT GOA-
- Computer Science Engineering
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
Currently, a three storey building inside the Goa Engineering College(GEC) campus is renovated and refurbished with various classrooms, laboratories, administrative section and a conference hall. Each classroom, laboratory and conference hall possess advanced facilities such as multimedia projectors and internet. Also a section of GEC has been allocated by the state government to house few classrooms and laboratories for NITG till it gets its new campus.
A Central Library and center centres were set up exclusively for NIT Goa students, while hostel and dining facilities have also been provided on the campus. Two cafeterias and facilities for sports and games have been created.
- Shenoy, Jaideep (December 9, 2009). "Goa to get its own NIT". Times of India. Retrieved 2012-05-02.
- "Eleventh Five Year Plan 2007-2012, Section 6.83" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-05-02.
- "Surathkal NIT to mentor Goa institute". Times of India. November 7, 2009. Retrieved 2012-05-02.
- "50% of NIT Goa seats for Goans". Retrieved 2012-05-02.
- Shetye, Murari; Malkarnekar, Gauree (March 31, 2012). "No land for NIT Goa without 50% reservation". Times of India. Retrieved 2012-05-02.
- "50% of NIT-Goa seats exclusively for local students". The Navhind Times. June 28, 2012.
- Malkarnekar, Gauree (July 1, 2012). "Land trouble finally over for NIT Goa". Times of India.
- "Central Library". www.nitgoa.ac.in/clib. NIT Goa. Retrieved 2016-11-03.
- "Goa NIT inaugurated". Retrieved 2012-05-02.