National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Regional Engineering College, Hamirpur|
|Motto||उद्यमेन हि सिद्धयान्ति कार्याणि न मनोरथैः॥ (Sanskrit)|
Motto in English
|No substitute for hard work|
|Affiliation||Ministry of Human Resource Development|
|Director||Prof. (Dr.) Vinod Yadava |
|Location||Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh, India|
|Campus||Urban (320 acres area)|
The National Institute of Technology Hamirpur (abbreviated as NIT Hamirpur or NITH) is a public engineering college located in Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh, India. It is one of the thirty one National Institutes of Technology established, administered and funded by MHRD. NIT Hamirpur offers a comprehensive curriculum for undergraduate, graduate and doctorate studies in various fields of Architecture, engineering, pure sciences and humanities.
The institute came into existence on 7th, August 1986 as Regional Engineering College, Hamirpur in Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh, India, it was a joint enterprise of the Government of India and the Government of Himachal Pradesh. The classes commenced at Government Polytechnic College, Hamirpur as REC Hamirpur did not have a campus initially. The classes and administration moved to current location in 1987 when few buildings were constructed. At the inception, the institute only had three departments, Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. Later, two more departments Electronics and Communication Engineering and Computer Science and Engineering were added in 1988 and 1989 respectively. The department of Architecture was established in 2000. Recently in 2013, Chemical Engineering department also came into existence. The institute only offered undergraduate courses until 2005, when it started offering graduate and Ph.D programs.
On 26 June 2002, REC Hamirpur was awarded the status of deemed university and upgraded into a National Institute of Technology. As a result of this transition the institute came under the sole purview of the Government of India. It was awarded the status of Institute of National Importance by an Act of Parliament along with other NITs and IITs. NIT Hamirpur has been ranked as best NIT in terms of infrastructure by the World Bank in 2007.
Departments and centres
NIT Hamirpur has 15 departments and 2 centres of excellence. The academic departments at NIT Hamirpur include the following
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Management and Humanities
- Energy and Environment
- Material Science
The two centres of excellence located at NIT Hamirpur are
- Centre for Excellence in Energy & Environment
- Centre for Material Science and Engineering
Computer Centre is a central facility, which caters to the needs of academic departments. The aim of the centre is to provide professional services, promote and assist the use of new computing technology among the students, staff and administration.
The institute library was set up in 1986 in one room of Government Polytechnic Hamirpur and was shifted to the institute campus in 1988 in Visvesvarya Block. At present it is in a separate building with the floor area of 3200 square meters. The library has more than 100,000 books and numerous scientific journals in both print and electronic format. The reading halls of the library can accommodate around 600 people at a time. Building is facilitated with water coolers, heaters Wi-Fi etc.
NIT Hamirpur provides sports facilities for indoor and outdoor games. Teams are sent out to compete in university-level sports competition. Sports facilities include cricket, football, lawn tennis, basketball, volleyball, table tennis, badminton and athletics.
NIT Hamirpur has its own health centre. It is equipped with basic medical facilities and in case of emergency, patients are referred to the Zonal Hospital, Hamirpur.
The institute campus is situated in the Hamirpur district of Himachal Pradesh, India, at an altitude of 900 meters above sea level. The campus spawns across 320 acres and is located on a hilly terrain which is surrounded by pine trees. According to MHRD survey NITH is the second most beautiful campus in the country including all engineering institute. The distance to campus from main bus terminus of Hamirpur city is approximately 4 kilometres. Bus and cab facilities are easily available for the campus.
Being a residential campus, there are eleven boys' hostels and three girls' hostels, with residences for the faculty and staff. Some hostels have four-seated or triple-seated rooms, while others have doublets and singlets. Mega Hostel is the newest and largest in its capacity.
- Kailash Boys' Hostel
- Shivalik Boys' Hostel
- Dhauladhar Boys' Hostel
- Vindhyachal Boys' Hostel
- Mani Mahesh Boys' Hostel
- Neelkanth Boys' Hostel
- Satpura Hostel
- Mega Hostel Block-III
- Himadri Hostel
- Himgiri Hostel
- Udaigiri Hostel (Newly Constructed)
- Parvati Girls' Hostel
- Ambika Girls' Hostel
Hill 'Ffair and Nimbus are the cultural and technical festivals respectively.
Hill'ffair is a cultural event of the institute, organised at the national level, with the involvement of well known bands, singers, musicians, artist, poets and participants from all across the country. Three days of performance with over a wide genre of dance, music, drama. The fact that the students of our institute and various other institutes showcase their talent makes Hill'ffair unique in its league.
During the days of Hill'ffair the open-air theatre becomes the nerve-centre for all activity. The rock show, fashion parade, and the Mr. and Miss Hill'ffair competitions are some of the most popular events.
NIMBUS is the annual technical festival of National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh, India. It is touted to be an amalgamation of ideas, expressions, innovations,prototypes, knowledge channels, taken to the most premier levels. In NIMBUS all the departmental teams compete with their best projects, demonstrations and Events. Students from himachal and outside himachal Pradesh come to participate in these events. The team which participates in NIMBUS are
- OJAS (Electrical Engg)
- MEDEXTROUS (Mechanical Engg)
- VIBHAV (Electronics & Comm)
- C HELIX (Civil Engg)
- Hermetica (Chemical Engg)
- .EXE (Computer & Sc)
- Design O Crats (Architecture)
|Engineering – India|
|Architecture – India|
- Mohit Kumar, Prof. of Computational Intelligence in Automation at University of Rostock
- Vijay Kumar Thakur, scientist in Manufacturing Enhanced Composites & Structures Centre at Cranfield University
- Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology Jalandhar
- National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra
- National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur
- National Institute of Technology, Warangal
- "Director NITH". Nith.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
- "About NITH". Nith.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
- "NITH Newsletter, Aug 2008" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-12-07.
- "Computer Centre NITH". Nith.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-02-17.
- "Central Library NITH". Nith.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
- "Sports Complex NITH". nith.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
- "Health Centre NITH". nith.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
- "Hostels NITH". Nith.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-02-17.
- "Hill'ffair". nith.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Architecture)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018. Retrieved 3 April 2018.
- Rostock, Universitätsbibliothek. "Kumar, Mohit - Catalogus Professorum Rostochiensium". cpr.uni-rostock.de. Retrieved 2018-11-01. horizontal tab character in
|title=at position 12 (help)
- "Dr Vijay Kumar Thakur". www.cranfield.ac.uk. Retrieved 2018-11-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur.|