National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2013)|
|Regional Engineering College, Kurukshetra|
|Director||Prof. Anand Mohan|
|Location||Kurukshetra, Haryana, India|
|Campus||Sub-urban, 300 acres (1.2 km2)|
National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra (or NIT Kurukshetra), is a public engineering institute located in Kurukshetra. In December 2008 , it was accredited with the status of Institute of National Importance (INI). It is one of the thirty National Institutes of Technology established and administered by Government of India. It runs undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Engineering and Doctor of Philosophy programme in Engineering, Sciences and Humanities.
The first Prime Minister of independent India, Jawaharlal Nehru, sought to develop India as a leader in science and technology. Between 1959 and 1965, with this vision, the Government founded 14 educational institutions in different regions of India. The system of competitive entry (based on merit) gave access to higher education in these institutions. Such an institution was established in 1963 in Kurukshetra as a joint enterprise of the Government of India and the Government of Haryana as the Regional Engineering College, Kurukshetra (REC Kurukshetra). In 2002, all the Regional Engineering Colleges were unified by a common entrance exam. Therefore, REC Kurukshetra was renamed to National Institute of Technology under the NIT Act and was given a Deemed University status.
In 2007, the university was conferred the premium status of Institute of National Importance.
Prof. Anand Mohan is the Director of National Institute of Technology (NIT), Kurukshetra. Prior to his present assignment, he was Professor of Electronics Engineering at Indian Institute of Technology (BHU)-Varanasi.
Undergraduate (Bachelor of Technology)
Before 2000, admissions were made through a regional exam of the State Government.
From 2003 to 2012, admissions were made of the basis of merit in the All India Engineering Entrance Examination. This exam consisted of three sections on Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. Every year, more than 1,000,000 students appeared for this exam. To get admission in NIT Kurukshetra, a student must achieve the rank within the top 3% of the total candidates.
However, from the year 2013, admissions are made on the merit list of Joint Entrance Examination. This is a common examination for all the premier universities in India. Under this, and ranks are given after considering 60% of the marks scored in the test, and 40% in the class 12 board examinations.
For foreign students, admissions are done through Direct Admission of Students Abroad (DASA) scheme.
NIT Kurukshetra offers the following degrees under the postgraduate course:
- Master of Technology (through GATE score)
- Master of Business Administration (through CAT/JMET score, followed by group discussions and personal interview)
- Master of Computer Application (through NIMCET score)
For M.Tech. admission, seats are first filled up by admitting GATE qualified candidates and then by industry sponsored candidates. Remaining vacant seats are offered to Non-GATE candidates with a minimum of 60% marks (55% for SC candidates) in their qualifying examination. While GATE candidates are eligible for a scholarship of Rs.12400/- per month. Non-GATE candidates are not given any scholarship.
Applications on prescribed proforma are invited for admission to Ph.D (full–time/part–time) programmes.
NIT Kurukshetra awards undergraduate B.Tech in various engineering fields in a four-year programme. It offers postgraduate (PG) M.Tech degrees in similar engineering fields as well as Physics. The M.Tech degree is awarded after four semesters (two years) or two semesters for relevant PG diploma holders. Ph.D. research programmes are offered in engineering, sciences, humanities and social sciences as well as computer applications. As of 2006 it also offers an MBA degree.
|Discipline||Faculty / Department||Undergraduate Programs (B.Tech.)||Postgraduate Programs (M.Tech., MBA & MCA)||Ph. D.|
|Engineering||Civil Engineering||Civil Engineering||Environmental Engineering||Yes|
|Soil Mechanics & Foundation Engineering||Yes|
|Water Resource Engineering||Yes|
|Computer Engineering||Computer Engineering||Computer Engineering||Yes|
|Information Technology||Computer Applications||Yes|
|Electrical Engineering||Electrical Engineering||Control System||Yes|
|Power Electronics & Drives||Yes|
|Electronics & communication engineering||Electronics & communication engineering||Electronics & communication engineering||Yes|
|Mechanical Engineering||Mechanical Engineering||Industrial & Production Engineering||Yes|
|Industrial Engineering & Management||Machine Design||Yes|
|School of Renewable Energy and Efficiency||N/A||Renewable Energy Systems||Yes|
|Science||Chemistry||Taught as a subject||N/A||Yes|
|Mathematics||Taught as a subject||N/A||Yes|
|Physics||Taught as a subject||Instrumentation||Yes|
|Humanities & Social Science||Applied Linguistics||Taught as a subject||N/A||Yes|
|Business Management||Taught as a subject||Business Administration||Yes|
|Entrepreneurship||Taught as a subject||Taught as a subject||Yes|
|Financial Management||N/A||Taught as a subject||Yes|
|Human Resource Management||N/A||Taught as a subject||Yes|
|Industrial Economics||Taught as a subject||Taught as a subject||Yes|
|Intellectual Property Rights||N/A||Taught as a subject||Yes|
|Marketing Management||N/A||Taught as a subject||Yes|
Apart from the above disciplines, the university has the following schools of excellence:
- School of Renewable Energy and Efficiency
- School of VLSI Design and Embedded Systems
- School of Biomedical Engineering
- School of Material Science and Nanotechnology
Academic reputation and rankings
According to the "Best Engineering Colleges in India 2014" report of India Today, NIT Kurukshetra is ranked 19th.
According to the latest JEE Main ranking criteria, NIT Kurukshetra was ranked 7th out of all NITs and 10th out of all colleges under JEE Main.
According to myEngg ranking, NIT Kurukshetra ranked 7th among 30 NITs.
Among the facilities available within the campus are:
- Computer center (available 24X7)
- Library (with access to international journals)
- Central workshop (with machine shop, welding, foundry and casting)
- State Bank of India, post office and health centre (medical consultation, diagnosis and pharmacy)
- 12 hostels (with high-speed LAN connectivity)
- Residence society for the university faculty
- Cafeteria and shopping center
- Auditorium and open-air theatre
- Sports complex and gymnasium (along with martial arts training facilities)
- Guest house
In addition to academic activities, the NIT students take part in many technical, cultural and managerial events throughout the year. For technical activities there are five societies associated with each branch named MICROBUS, TECHNOBYTE, ELECTRORECK, MECHSOC, and INFRASTRUCTURE, which organize events for electronics, computers, electrical, mechanical and civil branches respectively. These societies, along with a 6th named Mexperts, for PG students, organize the technical fests Altius and techspardha each year in the college.
In addition to this there are three more technical groups named Industrial Cell, Embedded Robotics Club (EMR), Aeromodeling Club and SAE-NITK (Society of Automotive Engineers), which are committed to organize technical events as well as technical knowledge of students in the fields of industry, robotics, aeromodelling and automobile.
For cultural activities there are following clubs in the college:
- MAD (Music and Dramatics)
- Fine Arts and Modelling
- English Literature and Debate Club
- Hindi Literature and Debate Club
- Spic Macay
- AVA (Audio Visual Aid)
These clubs organize a cultural fest named Confluence every year.
These are the major festivals that take place at NIT Kurukshetra every year.
- Techspardha: It is the main technical festival of the institute. Various technology based activities and competitions are organized and a large of students take part in these events thus adding to its popularity.
- Confluence: It is the annual cultural event and one of the most anticipated events in North India. Many colleges from the state as well as from the other parts of the nation take part in Confluence. It is a three-day event and has been visited by some of the most famous artists and personalities of the county in the past few years.
- Devender Arya, IPS Delhi
- Rajesh Arya, IPS (Director, DOPT, Govt of India)
- Vivek Atrey, IAS, DC Panchkula
- Rakesh Bakshi, Padma Shri awardee and Chairman of RRB Energy Ltd.
- Vishwamohan Bansal, Chairman New Delhi Institute of Management
- Sanjay Dhawan, CEO at Symphony Teleca
- Prem Kumar Gera, IAS (Director General NIFT)
- Adesh Gupta, CEO, Liberty Shoes
- RK Gupta, Chairman and Managing Director, WAPCOS Limited
- Jitendra Kalra, CEO, Dr Reddy Foundation
- Deepinder Singh Kapany, Vice President and Head at Bombay Dyeing Retail and Distribution Business
- Rajeev Kapoor, CEO, FIAT India
- Anil Kaul, founder, AbsolutData
- Karthik KS, founder and CEO of 24×7 Learning and AVAGMAH Online School
- Pawan Munjal, Vice President and MD, Hero Moto Corp
- Shailesh Rao, Director, New Products & Solutions, Google Enterprise, Google
- Srini Raju, co-founder and Chairman of Peepul Capital; former COO of Satyam Ltd; founder, Sri City (an IT Park)
- Devender Singh Rana, MLA, Nagrota, J&K
- Rajat Shakti, Vice President of Sahajanand Technologies
- Rohit Sharma, founder and CTO of ONI systems which was later on acquired by CIENA.
- Ihtashri Shandilya, founder of MITHILAsmita (a social art venture promoting Madhubani wall paintings)
- Shailender Nath Sharma, CEO, DEN Networks
- Kapoor Singh, founder and CEO, Ivy Gurukul USA
- Sandeep Srivastava, CEO, Indus Leadership Solutions
- Ramasubramanian T.K., physicist, writer, professor
- Sudhanshu Vats, CEO, Viacom 18
- Balram Singh Yadav, Superintending Engineer, Irrigation Department, Uttar Pradesh
- Deepak Yadav, IPS Delhi
- National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur
- Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology, Surat
- Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology Jalandhar
- National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur
- National Institute of Technology Agartala
- National Institute of Technology, Srinagar
- National Institute of Technology, Warangal
- "Welcome to NIT Kurukshetra". nitkkr.ac.in. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "B. Tech. Degree". nitkkr.ac.in. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "M. Tech Degree". nitkkr.ac.in. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "Ph. D Programmes". nitkkr.ac.in. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "MBA Programme". nitkkr.ac.in. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "THE WEEK-HANSA RESEARCH SURVEY". June 3, 2013.
- "Technical Fest".
- "Cultural Fest".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra.|