National Institute of Technology, Manipur
|Type||Institute of National Importance|
Imphal, Manipur, India|
|Affiliations||Ministry of Human Resource Development|
National Institute of Technology, Manipur (NIT Manipur) is an institute of National Importance situated in Imphal, Manipur, India. It is one of the 31 National Institutes of Technology in India. NIT Manipur started its first academic session in 2010.
NIT Manipur is located in Langol, Imphal-795004, which is about 10 km from the Imphal International Airport.
The institute is one among the thirty-one NITs in India established as Institutions of National Importance with funding support from the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
It is one of the ten newly set up NIT's by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India vide its order no. F.23-13-2009-TS-III dated 30 October 2009 and 3 March 2010.NIT Manipur was declared as a full-fledged NIT along with nine other new NITs, through An Act of Parliament and notified under Govt. of India Gazette notification No. 28 0f 2012 dated 7 June 2012 and declared as an Institute of National Importance.
|Engineering – India|
The Bachelor of Technology(B.Tech) admissions for Indian students were based on the AIEEE (All India Engineering Entrance Examination) until 2012. The exam consisted of three sections on Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. However, from the year 2013 to 2016 , admission was done through the JEE( MAIN),and ranks were based on considering 60% of the marks scored in the test, and 40% in the class 12 Board examinations. But from 2017 board marks will not be considered for JEE mains ranking .The students take admission through JOSAA counselling.
NIT Manipur currently offers the following PG programmes:
1. Master of Technology(M.Tech)
The departments offering Mtech degree programme with its specialization are
(i) Department of Computer Science and Engineering(CSE): M.Tech in Computer Science
(ii) Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering(ECE): M.Tech in VLSI design and Embedded Systems
(iii) Department of Electrical Engineering(EE): M.Tech in Power System and Control System
(iv) Department of Civil Engineering(CE): M.Tech in Environmental and Water Resources Engineering
(v) Department of Mechanical Engineering(ME):M.Tech in Thermal and Fluids Engineering, etc.
Regular admissions for M.Tech is through CCMT counselling. The candidate must have a valid GATE score for it. The regular students admitted through CCMT are offered a pretty stipend of 12,400 INR p.m. The students assist the curriculum of the department. Apart from the regular students the institute also reserves seats for sponsored and part-time candidates where people working in industries and companies and who has more than two year experiences are given the golden chance to complete the M.Tech. However, there is no stipend for such candidates.
2. Master of Science(M.Sc)
The department of Basic Science and Humanities offers
(i) M.Sc in Physics
(ii) M.Sc in Chemistry
(iii) M.Sc in Maths and Computing,etc.
Admissions for M.Sc in all areas is done through CCMN counselling. The candidates must have a valid JAM score for the counselling.
Ph.D(Doctor of Philosophy)
Minimum Qualification for admission in PhD programme Candidates for admission for PhD programme in Engineering Departments must satisfy one of the following criteria:-
- Master's degree in Engineering/Technology or equivalent in an appropriate area with a minimum CGPA of 6.5 or equivalent 60% marks or a master's degree by Research (MS by Research) in Engineering/Technology disciplines, with a good academic record, or bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology with excellent academic record with a CGPA of at least 9.0 or equivalent 85% marks and valid GATE score.
- Candidates for admission for PhD programme in Basic Science and Humanities Department must satisfy the following criteria:- Master’s degree in an eligible discipline with a good academic record or equivalent with a minimum of 55% marks or equivalent and having a valid GATE score or UGC/CSIR-NET/NBHM or equivalent qualification tenable for the current year in the relevant area.
Selection Procedure on receipt of applications the candidates fulfilling eligibility conditions are called for interview (Written/Oral). Selection is made on the basis of performance of the candidates in the test/interview and availability of seats.
- Computer Science & Engineering (1)
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering (1)
- Electronics & Communication Engineering (1)
- Mathematics (1)
- Physics (1)
- Chemistry (1)
- English (1)
DASA (Direct Admission for Students Abroad) for foreigner students
The students from abroad are given seats for direct admission to the institute in various courses under this scheme. The coordinating institute of DASA is National Institute of Technology, Surathkal(NITK).
The institute has six academic departments:
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Humanities and Basic Sciences
Non academic activities
This section does not cite any sources. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ougri is a student-organized cultural and technical festival at NITMN that was first organised in 2013. Ougri is derived from the dance of Manipuri tradition called "Ougri Hangen Chongba". Generally it is organised in the month of March every year.
NITMN organizes Sports Meet every year.It is usually organised in the month of March.Students take part in various sporting events. In 2017 it has successfully organised 7th annual sports meet on 1 and 2 April. Football, kabaddi and volleyball were the major attraction. Events like table tennis, chess, carrom, 100m 200m 400m and 800m race fill the excitement.
- "Welcome To NIT Manipur". nitmanipur.ac.in. Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- "National Institute of Technology Imphal". collegekhabar.com. Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- "National Institute of Technology (NIT) - Manipur". collegesearch.com. Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "DEPARTMENT HEAD". Retrieved 17 July 2015.