National Institute of Technology, Puducherry
|Type||Public (Institute of National Importance)|
|National Institute of Technology|
|Endowment||Ministry of Human Resource Development (India)|
|Chairman||Yet to be Nominated|
|Director||Dr. K. Sankaranarayanasamy|
National Institute of Technology puducherry (NIT puducherry or NITPY) is an autonomous public engineering Institute located about 130 kilometers from the city of Puducherry at Karaikal, which is a part of the Union Territory of Puducherry and is an enclave within the Nagapattinam District of Tamil Nadu. It is one among the 31 National institutes of Technology of India and is declared as an Institute of National Importance by Government of India under NIT Act, 2007. The institute was established in 2010, starting its intake in the academic year 2010–11.
NIT Puducherry is one of the ten NITs, sanctioned by the Government of India in 2009, as part of the Eleventh Five-Year Plan (2007–2012). The institute was mentored by National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirapalli in the initial years.
Students are admitted for undergraduate programs based on the merit list prepared by giving 100℅ weightage to marks scored in Joint Entrance Examination (JEE MAIN) formerly All India Engineering Entrance Examination.
In total number of seats available 50% of seats are reserved for the candidates having residence/native at Puducherry state (includes Puducherry, Karaikal, Mahe, Yanam) and Andaman and Nicobar Islands (i.e., Home State).The remaining 50% seats are filled on all India quota basis. Joint Seat Allocation Authority handles UG admission process.
Admission to PG programs is done based on Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) score. PG admission is made through the Centralized Counselling for M.Tech (CCMT).
NIT Puducherry follows the reservation policy declared by the Supreme Court of India, by which 27% of seats are reserved for Other Backward Classes (OBCs), 15% for Scheduled Castes (SCs), and 7.5% for Scheduled Tribes (STs).
The institute also accepts foreign nationals through scholarships awarded by the Government of India, and non-resident Indians through an independent scheme known as Direct Admission for Students Abroad (DASA).
NIT Puducherry awards 4 years long B.Tech degree in five disciplines namely
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
The institute offers 2 years long Master course in Computer Science stream,Communication Systems(ECE) and Power Electronics(EEE)
The institute accepts doctoral candidates for research in various fields.
|University and college rankings|
|Engineering – India|
NIT Puducherry is having a campus spread around 256 acres in the village Poovam and Thiruvettakudi of Karaikal. The campus consists of boys hostel, girls hostel, science block, administrative block, guest house, director residence, staff residence and playground.
- National Institutes of Technology
- List of Institutes of National Importance
- Joint Entrance Examination (Main)
- All India Engineering Entrance Examination
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to NIT Puducherry.|
- Chairman. www.nitpy.ac.in.retrieved on 2015-12-26.
- . www.nitpy.ac.in. retrieved on 2018-02-28.
- "Institutions of National Importance". Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India. 23 April 2015. Retrieved 26 December 2015.
- New NITs. www.performance.gov.in.retrieved on 2015-12-26.
- CSAB Business rules. www.nitpy.ac.in/Business_Rules retrieved on 2016-01-01
- NITPY_Institute_Profile. retrieved on 2016-01-02.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2020 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 11 June 2020.