National Institute of Technology, Raipur
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Location||Raipur, Chhattisgarh, India|
The National Institute of Technology Raipur (NIT Raipur) is a technical institution funded by the Government of India,located in Raipur, Chhattisgarh. Founded in 1956 as Govt. College of Mining & Metallurgy with two engineering disciplines, mining and metallurgy, the institute is one of the oldest of its kind in India citation??. Currently it is one of the National Institutes of Technology, which have been accorded Institute of National Importance status by the National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007.
The first President of India, Rajendra Prasad laid the foundation stone of the college building on 14 September 1956. Construction was completed in 1962 and the college was inaugurated on 14 March 1963 by the first Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru.
Until as late as 1956, there were only three technical institutes in the country devoted to mining and metallurgical engineering. In view of this fact and also with the aim of harnessing the ample mineral resources in the region, the institute was set up on 1 May 1956 as Government College of Mining and Metallurgy. The first session of the college commenced on 1 July 1956 with the admission of 15 students each in mining and metallurgical engineering.
In 1958-59 with the commencement of additional courses in civil, mechanical and electrical engineering, the college came to be known as Government College of Engineering and Technology. Later graduate courses in chemical engineering (1965), architecture (1984), electronics (1985), information technology, computer science and technology (2000), biotechnology and biomedical Engineering (2003) were started. It was declared a National Institute of Technology (NIT) by the national government on 1 December 2005 and then declared an Institute of National Importance with the passing of the National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007, in May 2007.
The Stars of the Industry Group and Dainik Bhaskar has selected NIT Raipur to honour with "National Education Leadership Awards 2013"  for the outstanding contribution of the Institute in the field of Technical Education from North Region and Dr. Sudarshan Tiwari, Director, NIT Raipur was also awarded with "National Education Leadership Awards" for his outstanding contribution to education.
The ABP News National Educational Awards 2014 has selected NIT Raipur to honour with Outstanding Engineering Institute (North) for the contribution of the Institute in the field of Engineering from North Region.
The main authorities of the institute are:
- Board of Governors
- Building and working committee
- Administrative staff
The Board of Governors are responsible for the overall superintendence, direction and control of the institute's affairs.
Senate: Headed by the Director, is responsible for managing the day-to-day affairs of the institute, framing the curriculum and conducting the examinations.
- The undergraduate admissions are based on the Joint Entrance Examination organized by CBSE, India.
- The postgraduate admissions are based on the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE).
- The postgraduate admissions for Master in Computer Application are done on the basis of NIMCET.
- NIT Raipur follows the reservation policy declared by the Supreme Court of India, by which 27% of positions are reserved for Other Backward Classes (OBCs), 15% for Scheduled Castes (SCs), and 7.5% for Scheduled Tribes (STs)
The institute currently houses the following departments:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Biotechnology Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Basic Science
Golden Jubilee Celebrations
The institute celebrated its golden jubilee during 25–27 December 2005.
Fourth Convocation - 2014
"Cheered up faces in black caps and gowns sitting together after a long time to get a paper which reflects their toiling and journey of four years in four sentences." The fourth convocation ceremony which took place in the campus immersed the institution in the waves of memories. 2013 passed outs stared the institution with tearful eyes and met friends across the country and shared their working experiences and life after college campus with each other. The entire ceremony was very well managed. Every passed- out student received good amount of warmth and hospitality from the institute in which they celebrated four years of life.
The institute conducted its 4th convocation which invited all those students who have passed degree examination / postgraduate examination during academic session 2012-13 and all those scholars who have declared eligible for the award of PhD degrees to take part in it with their parents or guardians.
His Excellency Mr. Shekhar Dutt, Hon. Governor of Chhattisgarh had consented to deliver the Convocation address as Chief Guest. He was impressed to see the growth of the institute both at academic and infrastructure front to meet the national, regional and local aspirations in its short existence of eight years and congratulated the institute for achieving many milestones and for making all efforts to become a globally recognized institute.
Presiding over the convocation ceremony, Sri Sudhir Vasudeva, Chairman (Board of Governors, NIT, Raipur) congratulated the institute for receiving Outstanding Engineering Institute in North India.
In his welcome address, Director of NIT Raipur, Dr Sudarshan Tiwari highlighted the achievements and facilities available in the institute.
On the occasion, degrees were conferred to 785 passing out students including B Tech degree to 656 students, B Arch degree to 31 students, M Tech degree to 57 students, MCA degree to 38 students and PhD degree to 3 students. Gold medals were conferred to 19 students of different departments of B Tech, B Arch, M Tech and MCA, while silver medals were presented to 17 students.
Rejoicing - DA - Renaissance
Academics is what NIT Raipur is primarily known for, but to nurture creativity, competitive spirit and a fine sense of aesthetics among the youth, Eclectikais organized annually by NIT Raipur. It is one of the Central India’s largest, exciting, competitive student cultural cum technical festivals.
The history of Eclectika is woven strongly into that of NIT Raipur. Eclectika itself means selecting what seems best of various styles, method and ideas. The word itself comprising all the streams needed for the music of innovation and success, a platform to foster the nursery of talent and choosing the best, a sense of unity among the individuals. The Eclectika journey started in 2007 being the youngest in central India is the spirit of the development. The success of first Eclectika in 2007 itself laid the foundation for an endless voyage for enjoyment. The legacy continues and impelled by prolific responses of attendees every year.
Eclectika 14 was organized from 21 February to 23 February 2014 promising a joyful ride of 3 days. Its theme was "Rejoicing - DA - Renaissance. It portrayed the revolutionary changes that earlier civilizations saw during the period between 14th century and 17th century, which saw a rebirth in all the dimensions of life, from art to culture. The Eclectika has become the time to see that change again.
Managing Director of Bhilai Steel Plant Mr. Yogesh Kumar Degan was the chief guest for the inaugural ceremony.
The Nukkad Natak competition, Goonj, was the centre of attraction for the commencing day’s program which saw a huge participation from different colleges from all over central India.Beside goonj participants displayed their singing talent in Eclectika Idol. Clash of the Choreas, another mega event which was conducted in association with Indian Hip Hop Academy gave participants a life time opportunity to a part of Indian Hip Hop Challenge 2014. Avirbhaav saw various bands from different colleges battling out with one another to be the ultimate champion. The major attraction of Eclectika 2014 was the Celeb Night in which India’s Got Talent Fame band Underground Authority mesmerized the students with their soulful performance.The Eclectika was concluded with the cultural night in which various students from college participated.
Student committees and organizations
- Association Of Computer Engineers (ACE)
- RoboTiX Club, NIT Raipur
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- Entrepreneurship Cell, NIT Raipur
- IEEE Student Branch NIT Raipur
- Technocracy - technical committee
- Sanskriti - cultural committee
- Nrityam - dance club
- Literary Committee
- Alumni Association
- Sports Committee
- Raaga (Musical club)
- Click club (photography club)
- Go Green committee (We care the green movement)
- Interact Club (Quiz Club)
- Sahyog (Mentor-ship club)
- Rajyabhasha prabhag (under M.H.R.D)
- Association of Electronics & Telecommunication Students (ASSETS)
- Mining Engineering Society (MES)
- Association of Computer Engineers (ACE)
- Metallurgical Society (METSO)
- Bio-Medical Student Association (BIMSA)
- Biotechnology students association (BITSA)
- Electrical Engineering Association (EEA)
- Civil Engineering Association (CEA)
- Chemical Engineering Association NIT (CHEANIT)
- Mechanical Engineering Association (MEA)
- Association of Students of Architecture, Raipur (ASAR)
- Innovation Club
- SPIC-MACAY NIT RAIPUR sub-chapter (Society for Promotion of Indian Classical Music and Culture Amongst Youth)
- Information Technology Students Association(ITSA)
- Dramatics club (DC)
Student halls of residence
There are separate hostel facilities for boys and girls: six for boys and two for girls. Each hostel has its own mess. Dinner is not provided on Sunday only in the boys hostel.There are two hostel for girls, each having a capacity of 150 and 250. Admission to the hostel depends upon the jee main rank and the distance of their native place from the institute. Hostel H (boys) is the largest hostel of central India.
|University and college rankings|
|Engineering – India|
- Institute of Technology, Guru Ghasidas University, Bilaspur District, Chhattisgarh India
- Institute of Technology, Korba
- Kirodimal Institute of Technology, Raigarh
- National Institute of Technology Goa
- National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
- "NITRR honored with National Education Leadership Award".
- "NIT Raipur - Outstanding Engineering Institute".
- National Institute of Technology Raipur. Nitrr.ac.in. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- "NIT Raipur Biomedical engineering official website". Nitrr.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2017". Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2017.
- "IIFM, IIM indore, from MP among top ranked institutes by HRD ministry - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-02-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Institute of Technology, Raipur.|
- NIT Raipur Official Website
- Department of Training & Placement, NIT Raipur
- Alumni Association of GECNIT, Raipur