National Institute of Technology, Warangal
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Motto in English
|One who works, shall succeed|
|Type||Public engineering college|
|Director||N.V. Ramana Rao |
Warangal, Telangana, India|
|Campus||Urban, 256 acres (104 ha)|
The National Institute of Technology, Warangal (NIT Warangal or NITW) is a public engineering institution located in Warangal, India. It is recognised as an Institute of National Importance by the Government of India. The foundation stone for this institute was laid by then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru on 1959, the first in the chain of 31 NITs (formerly known as RECs) in the country. The institute was renamed as the National Institute of Technology, Warangal in 2002.
The Regional Engineering College, Warangal was the first to be established (in 1959) among the chain of 15 Regional Engineering Colleges in the country. The approval of the Government of India to establish one of the RECs meant for the southern region of Warangal was conveyed to the State Government through its letter no .F 11- 5/ 58- T. 5 dated 30 January 1959. The Government of Andhra Pradesh through G. O. Ms. No. 2440 (Education Department) dated 15 July 1959 constituted the first board of Governors of the Regional Engineering College, Warangal, appointing Dr. D.S. Reddy (then Vice Chancellor of Osmania University) as the chairman. The foundation stone for the college was laid by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru on 10 October 1959 in Kazipet. The classes for the first batch of students in Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering branches commenced on 12 September 1959 in temporary sheds erected in the Balasamudram area of Hanamkonda. Later temporary sheds were also erected in the Industrial Colony of Warangal for conducting lecture classes. Laboratory classes and workshop classes were conducted in the Government Polytechnic, Warangal in the initial stages. The conduction of classes on the premises of the permanent site in Kazipet commenced in January 1963.
The bachelor's programme in Chemical Engineering was initiated in 1964. The following year saw the start of the Metallurgical Engineering programme. In 1971, the college started the undergraduate program in Electronics and Communication Engineering. BTech in Computer Science & Engineering was started in 1983 and MTech in Computer Science & Engineering in 1987. In 2006, the institute started a bachelor's program in Biotechnology.
In 1976, its affiliation was changed from Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University to Kakatiya University, with which it remained affiliated, until the institute was granted deemed university status in 2002.
In 1994, the institute was selected by the Overseas Development Administration of the UK for exchange programs between the UK and India in the field of information technology. This program ran till 1999. In 2000, the institute started its MBA program.
In 2001, a center of Software Technology Parks of India was opened in its campus.
In September 2002, the college was renamed as National Institute of Technology and was given deemed university status. NITW was given the status of Institute of National Importance (INI) on 15 August 2007.
The 256 acres of land is divided by the NH 163 highway into staff quarters, CCE and the main campus. The main entrance of the campus depicts the traditional elegance of Kakatiya Thoranam. The main entrance of the campus is inscribed with the Sanskrit/Telugu words "कर्मणैव हि संसिद्धिः", meaning that the one who works shall succeed.
The plinth area occupied by the buildings on the campus are: administrative building (3,331 m2), academic buildings (34,448 m2), library building (3,610 m2), students' hostels (32,642 m2), sports pavilion and gallery (784 Sqm), director's bungalow, staff quarters and guest house (31,598 m2.) The road network in the campus runs to a length of 12 km.
Dr VA Sastry Centre for Innovation and Incubation
NIT Warangal has a centre established with the objective of providing laboratory space for start-up industries. Future Now Innosoft (p) ltd and Sky e it solutions have started their activities in this centre. The Lakshya Foundation, an alumni-led organization, also has its office set up here. M/s Infosys (p) ltd. funded a research project which is carried out in this centre by the faculty and students of NIT Warangal.
It also houses the Web and Software Development Cell (WSDC), a team of students which develop the institute website, semester registrations, online feedback, online attendance, online mess and hostel allotment (OMAHA) among many other things.
The Innovation Garage is a 24x7 student run multidisciplinary work space for innovation. This laboratory provides students access to latest gadgets, tools and technology devices. It is a joint initiative of the institute and Lakshya Foundation.
International meets, conferences and student activities are held in Abdul Kalam Hall, New Seminar Hall, New Conference Hall and the auditorium.
State Bank of Hyderabad is situated beside the campus main gate, and has two ATMs – one located in the bank premises and the other near the Sports Stadium. The institute has one shopping centre which caters to the needs of the students and residents. The campus has a post office located near Viswesvraya Hall. The NITW campus comes under a separate postal zone and it is a postal delivery office. The dispensary has an X-ray machine, an ECG and a pathology laboratory with equipment like an electronic BP apparatus with pulse reader, a mini lab, an electronic binocular microscope, and a sterilization oven.
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2018)||78|
|Engineering – India|
|The Week (2017)||15|
NIT Warangal was ranked 25 among engineering colleges in India by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in 2018 and 78 overall. It was ranked 15 among engineering colleges in India in 2017 by The Week.
This section does not cite any sources. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Bachelor of Technology admissions for Indian students are based on the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE – Main). Foreign students are accepted through Direct Admission of Students Abroad (DASA) and ICCR schemes.
MTech students are admitted through the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE). MCA students are admitted through the NIT MCA Common Entrance Test (NIMCET). Amissions to the MBA program is based on Common Admission Test (CAT) or Management Aptitude Test (MAT) scores, and short listed candidates undergo group discussion or a personal interview for the final selection. MSc and MSc (Tech.) students are admitted through the National Institute of Technology Warangal Entrance Test (NITWET).
NIT Warangal invites applications for PhD degree admissions in almost all departments twice every academic year, in July and December.
This section does not cite any sources. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
NIT Warangal holds technical and cultural events throughout the year. Major annual events include Technozion (technical fest), SpringSpree (cultural fest) and Cura (management fest). The event called Zero Gravity is held every year, which is an interbranch competition in cultural events.
Technozion is a three-day annual technical symposium organized by the student fraternity of National Institute of Technology, Warangal and is aimed at providing a platform for students across India to assemble, interact, and share knowledge in various fields of science and technology. Started in 2006, it has grown to become one of the major technical festivals of South India with a footfall of over 6000 students. It is a collection of events, initiatives, workshops, guest lectures and exhibitions. Its name comes from "techno" for technology and "Zion" meaning the promised land.
Spree is the annual cultural festival. It is a three-day-long annual carnival held towards the end of January or in the beginning of March. It is run by students and includes various cultural performances including quiz events, treasure hunts and professional shows. It also includes events related to business planning and stock marketing. It was established in 1978.
- Cura is a fest organised by the School of Management-NIT Warangal. It provides a platform to exhibit and amplify the skills obtained theoretically. Talent is reviewed and evaluated by eminent professors who guide the students.
- Siva S. Banda, Director of Control Science Center of Excellence and Chief Scientist for Air Vehicles Directorate at United States Air Force Research Laboratory; elected to National Academy of Engineering; President's Award for Distinguished Federal Civilian Service in 2010
- Lalit Goel, Professor and Head of Electrical Engineering, Nanyang Technological University
- Lakshmi Narayana, former Joint Director for India's Central Bureau of Investigation
- Kavuri Sambasiva Rao, Member of Parliament, India (5th term, 8th, 9th, 12th, 14th, 15th Lok Sabha
- Madhura Sreedhar Reddy, director, producer, Telugu cinema
- S.P.Y. Reddy, Member of Parliament, India (2nd term, 14th, 15th Lok Sabha)
- Rao Remala, first Indian employee of Microsoft
- Ramajogayya Sastry, film lyricist, winner of Filmfare Award for Best Lyricist – Telugu
- Biswanath Rath, film director, screenwriter, editor and producer
- Kartikeya Gummakonda, film actor and producer
- "Director's Profile". www.nitw.ac.in. National Institute of Technology, Warangal. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering. Nitw.ac.in. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- Department of Biotechnology. Nitw.ac.in. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- History. Nitw.ac.in. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- "Lakshya – an NITW alumni led organization". thelakshyafoundation.org.
- CII, NITW
- Web & Software Development Cell, NIT Warangal. wsdc.nitw.ac.in. Retrieved on 2015-06-01
- Innovation Garage, Lakshya. www.thelakshyafoundation.org. Retrieved on 2015-05-8
- Dispensary. Nitw.ac.in. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- NIT Warangal – National Institute of Technology Warangal – Engineering Courses in NIT Warangal. Highereducationinindia.com. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- Singh, Abhinav (18 June 2017). "The Week - Hansa Research Best Colleges Survey 2017: Top Engineering Colleges - All India". The Week. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- "Madhura Sreedhar Reddy interview - Telugu Cinema interview - Telugu film director". www.idlebrain.com. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- "Rama Jogaiah Sastry interview - Telugu Cinema interview - Telugu film lyricist". www.idlebrain.com. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "Never to take things for granted in this industry" Interview with Biswanath Rath CEO of BNR". theasianentrepreneur.com. 12 October 2016. Retrieved 3 April 2018.