National Institute of Technology, Warangal
|Motto||Sanskrit: कर्मादेव हि संसिद्धिः
Telugu: శ్రమయేవ జయాతే
Motto in English
|One who works, shall succeed|
|Director||T. Srinivasan Rao|
|Location||Warangal, Telangana, India
256 acres (104 ha)
The National Institute of Technology, Warangal (abbreviated NIT WARANGAL or NITW) is a premier engineering and research institution located in Warangal, India. It is recognised as an Institute of National Importance by the Government of India. Foundation stone for this institute was laid by then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru on October 10, 1959, the first in the chain of 30 NITs (formerly known as RECs) in the country. The institute was renamed as the National Institute of Technology, Warangal in September 2002. It has consistently been ranked as one of the top 10 institutes in India.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Ranking
- 4 Facilities
- 5 Academic departments
- 6 Courses
- 7 Student activities
- 8 Notable alumni
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
The Regional Engineering College, Warangal was the first to be established (in 1959) among the chain of 15 Regional Engineering Colleges in the country. The approval of the Government of India to establish one of the R.E.C 's meant for the southern region of Warangal was conveyed to the State Government through its letter no .F 11- 5/ 58- T. 5 dated 30 January 1959. The Government of Andhra Pradesh through G. O. Ms. No. 2440 ( Education Department ) dated 15 July 1959 constituted the first board of Governors of the Regional Engineering College, Warangal appointing Dr. D.S. Reddy( the then Vice Chancellor of Osmania University ) as the chairman. The foundation stone for the college was laid by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru on 10 October 1959 in Kazipet. The classes for the first batch of students in Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering branches commenced on 12 September 1959 in temporary sheds erected in Balasamudram area of Hanamkonda. Later temporary sheds were also erected in Industrial Colony of Warangal for conducting lecture classes. Laboratory classes and workshop classes were conducted in the Government Polytechnic, Warangal in the initial stages. The conduction of classes on the premises of the permanent site in Kazipet commenced in January 1963.
The Bachelors programme in Chemical Engineering was initiated in 1964. The following year saw the start of Metallurgical Engineering programme. In 1971, the college started the undergraduate program in Electronics and Communication Engineering. BTech in Computer Science & Engineering was started in 1983 and MTech in Computer Science & Engineering in 1987. In 2006, the institute started a Bachelors program in Biotechnology.
In 1976, its affiliation was changed from Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University to Kakatiya University, with which it remained affiliated, until the institute was granted a deemed university status in 2002.
In 1994, the institute was selected by the Overseas Development Administration of the UK for exchange programs between the UK and India in the field of information technology. This program ran till 1999. In 2000, the institute started its MBA program.
In 2001, a center of Software Technology Parks of India was opened in its campus.
In September 2002, the college was renamed as National Institute of Technology and was given a deemed university status. NITW was given the status of Institute of National Importance (INI) on 15 August 2007.
The 256 acres of land is divided by the NH 202 highway into staff quarters, CCE and the main campus. The main entrance of the campus depicts the traditional elegance of Kakatiya Thoranam. The main entrance of the campus is inscribed with the Sanskrit/Telugu words "कर्मदैव हि संसिद्धि", meaning that the one who works shall succeed.
The plinth area occupied by the buildings on the campus are: Administrative Building (3,331 Sqm), Academic Buildings (34,448 m2), Library Building (3,610 m2), Students Hostels (32,642 m2), Sports Pavilion and Gallery (784 Sqm), Director's Bungalow, Staff Quarters and Guest House (31,598 m2.) The road network in the campus runs to a length of 12 km.
|Engineering – India|
|Business – India|
Halls of residences
In the campus hostels are referred to as Halls of residences. The various halls are:
- Azad Hall
- Bose Hall
- Ambedkar Hall
- Babha Hall
- Gandhi Hall
- Gokhale Hall
- Radhakrishnan Hall
- Raman Hall
- Nehru Hall
- Patel Hall
- Tagore Hall
- Viswesvaraya Hall
- Rajendra Prasad Hall
- Vikram Sarabhai Hall
- Priyadarshini Hall
- Sarojini Hall
Apart from these halls also called old blocks 4 new multistorey blocks (3 for boys, 1 for girls) have also been constructed in recent years:
- 1K Hall of Residence
- Ultra Mega Hostel
- International Students Hall
- New Ladies hostel
The faculty live in staff quarters inside and outside the campus. The campus has seven messes for boys which include two institute food courts namely IFC-A and IFC-B, one mess exclusively for girls. Hostel rooms are provided with internet facility for every student. WiFi connectivity is also present in most of the hostels as well as the academic blocks.
Dr VA Sastry Centre for Innovation and Incubation
NIT Warangal has a centre established with the objective of providing laboratory space for start-up industries. Two startup industries namely 'Future Now Innosoft (p) ltd' and 'Sky e it' solutions have started their activities in this centre. The Lakshya Foundation, alumni led organization also has its office set up here. Besides these, M/s Infosys (p) ltd. funded a research project, which is carried out in this centre by the faculty and students of NIT Warangal.
It also houses Web and Software Development Cell (WSDC), a team of students which develop the institute website, semester registrations, online feedback, online attendance, online mess and hostel allotment (OMAHA) among many other things.
The institute has recently set up Innovation Garage, a 24x7 student run multidisciplinary work space for innovation. This laboratory provides students, access to latest gadgets, tools and technology devices. It is a joint initiative of the institute & Lakshya Foundation.
The Central Library supports the teaching and research programmes of the Institute and provides facilities for general reading and disseminates information according to the requirement of the users. It is housed in a separate building with a plinth area of 4000 m2. It has around 157,596 books, back volumes, technical pamphlets, standards, CD-ROMs, Video cassettes etc. The total cost of the books is Rs. 64.0 million and it receives 215 journals, (125 Indian and 90 foreign) at a cost of Rs. 591,000. The services and operations in the central Library are fullycomputerised. The database of entire library acquisitions was created using LIBSYS software and it works under XPenvironment. The main server is Xeon Server – Dual CPU (Dell PE 2900). The Library has campus LAN connectivity through the Computer Centre and is connected to Web Server. 50 systems providing network facility are installed for browsing. The MHRD GoI, New Delhi set up a consortia-based subscription to electronic resources for technical education system named as INDEST (Indian Digital Library in Engineering, Science and Technology) and receiving about 2000 on-line journals viz. IEL (IEEE/IEE Electronic Library, ASME, ASCE, Applied Science and Technology Plus (ASTP), ACM Digital Library, Springer Verlag Link, Nature, J- Gate, Indian Standards 18,000 in e-form from 2003 onwards. The Library has installed a Hard Disk caching solution (500 GB) in the Digital Library to store massive data of archival information.
The International meets, conferences and student activities are held in Abdul Kalam Hall, New Seminar Hall, New Conference Hall and the Auditorium.
The institute has a bank situated beside the campus main gate, State Bank of Hyderabad. State Bank of Hyderabad has two ATMs – one located in the bank premises and the other near the Sports Stadium. Institute has one shopping centre which caters to the needs of the students and residents. The campus has a post office located near Viswesvraya Hall. The NITW campus comes under a separate postal zone and it is a postal delivery office. The dispensary has an X-ray machine, an ECG and a pathology laboratory which is provided with equipment like electronic BP apparatus with pulse reader, a mini lab, electronic binocular microscope, and sterilization oven.
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electronics and Communications Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Physics (Photonics and Electronics )
- School of Management
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Department of Physical Education
The Bachelor of Technology admissions for Indian students were based on the JEE – Main (Joint Entrance Examination). The exam consists of three sections on Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. However, from the year 2013, admission will be done through the JEE Mains, and ranks will be given after considering 60% of the marks scored in the test, and 40% in the class 12 Board examinations. The BTech admissions for foreign students are done through Direct Admission of Students Abroad (DASA) and ICCR schemes.
MTech students are admitted to the program through the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) conducted by the Indian Institutes of Technology and the Indian Institute of Science. MCA students are admitted through NIMCET, The admissions to the MBA program in the institute is based on the CAT/MAT result. The short listed candidates will have to undergo Group Discussion / Personal Interview for the final selection. For MSc and MSc(Tech.) students are admitted through NITWET.
Doctoral degree (PhD)
NIT Warangal invites applications for PhD degree admissions in almost all departments, twice every academic year in July and December.
NIT Warangal holds technical and cultural events throughout the year. Major annual events include Technozion (technical fest), SpringSpree (cultural fest) and Cura (management fest). The event called Zero Gravity is held every year which is an interbranch competition in cultural events.
Technozion is a three-day annual technical symposium organized by the student fraternity of National Institute of Technology, Warangal and is aimed at providing a platform for students across India to assemble, interact, and share knowledge in various fields of science and technology. Started in 2006, it has grown to become one of the major technical festivals of South India with a footfall of over 6000 students.
The name Technozion derives its meaning from two words, Techno for technology and Zion meaning the Promised Land. Technozion is a collection of events, initiatives, workshops, guest lectures and exhibitions.
Spree is the annual cultural festival. It is a three-day-long annual carnival held towards the end of January or in the beginning of March. It is run by students and includes various cultural performances. Cultural performances range from quiz events, treasure hunts to professional shows and many more. It also includes events related to business planning and stock marketing. It was established in 1978 and will be in its 29th edition very soon.
- Coke Studio
Every year institute organizes Coke studio event.
- Cura is fest organised by the School of Management-NIT Warangal. It provides a platform to exhibit and amplify the skills obtained theoretically. Talent is reviewed and evaluated by eminent professors who guide the students.
Every branch has their technical association with a staff head and executive body of students. They organise lectures, run quizzes, conduct workshops, talk about developments in the field, and conduct placement talks. They help in welcoming the First year students by conducting FRESHERS and showing them the principles and goals of their course.
- Civil Engineering Association, CEA
- Electrical Engineering Association, EEA
- Mechanical Engineering Association, MEA
- Electronics and Communication Engineering Association, ECEA
- Chemical Engineering Association, CHEA
- Metallurgical and materials Engineering Association, MMEA
- Computer Science and Engineering Association, CSEA
- Technical Association of Biotechnology, TAB
- Abhiyan Club – School of Management
- Regional Engineering College Warangal Old Students Association
Student clubs and committees
- Dance & Dramatic Club
- Music Club
- Literary & Debating Club
- Quiz Club
- Painting Club
- Photographic Club
- Science and Hobbies Club
- Electronic Amateurs and HAM Club
- Nature Club
- Value Education Club
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship Club
- Film Committee
- The Institution of Engineers (India)NITW Students Chapter
- ISTE Students Chapter
- Youth Red Cross
- Forum for International Students' Affairs
- Magazine Committee
- Honey Bee NITW Student Chapter
- ACM Student Chapter, NITW
- LAN Radio Club
It's consistently ranked as one of the top 7 engineering colleges in India
- V.R. Ferose, managing director, SAP Labs India
- Aarthi Subramanian, Executive Director, TCS
- Bhanumurthy Ballapuram, Chief Executive, Wipro Digital, Wipro Consulting Services and Business Application Services
- P. Sudhakar, CMD, Electronics Corporation of India Limited
- AS Murthy, Executive Vice President, Tech Mahindra
- Venkat Changavalli, Advisor for Home and Health Departments, Uttar Pradesh, Former CEO, GVK Emergency Management and Research Institute
- Sanjay Das, COO, Tippett Studio
- Srinivas Tallapragada, President, Salesforce.com
- Srinidhi Varadarajan, Architect of the world's fastest and cheapest supercomputer, System X
- Lakshmi Narayana, Former Joint Director for India's Central Bureau of Investigation
- Rao Remala, First Indian employee of Microsoft
- Donald Lobo, Among first four people at Yahoo!
- Madan Jampani, co-inventor of Amazon DynamoDB
- Dr. Siva S. Banda, Director of Control Science Center of Excellence and Chief Scientist for Air Vehicles Directorate at United States Air Force Research Laboratory; elected to National Academy of Engineering; President's Award for Distinguished Federal Civilian Service in 2010
- Dr. Lalit Goel, Professor and Head of Electrical Engineering, Nanyang Technological University
- Kavuri Sambasiva Rao, Member of Parliament, India (5th Term, 8th, 9th, 12th, 14th, 15th Lok Sabha
- S.P.Y. Reddy, Member of Parliament, India (2nd Term, 14th, 15th Lok Sabha
- Ramajogayya Sastry, Indian film lyricist, winner of Filmfare Award for Best Lyricist – Telugu
- Madhura Sreedhar Reddy, director, producer, Telugu cinema
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering. Nitw.ac.in. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- Department of Biotechnology. Nitw.ac.in. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- History. Nitw.ac.in. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2016". Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2016.
- "HRD Ministry announces universities ranking, IIT Madras and IIM Bangalore top the list".
- "Lakshya – an NITW alumni led organization". thelakshyafoundation.org.
- CII, NITW
- Web & Software Development Cell, NIT Warangal. wsdc.nitw.ac.in. Retrieved on 2015-06-01
- Innovation Garage, Lakshya. www.thelakshyafoundation.org. Retrieved on 2015-05-8
- Dispensary. Nitw.ac.in. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- NIT Warangal – National Institute of Technology Warangal – Engineering Courses in NIT Warangal. Highereducationinindia.com. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- "VR Ferose: At 33, he was the first non-German MD of SAP Labs". timesofindia-economictimes.
- "Wipro's digital business unit to be guided by Bhanumurthy Ballapuram". timesofindia-economictimes.
- Our Bureau. "ECIL gets new CMD". The Hindu Business Line.
- "AS Murthy - Executive Vice President". www.techmahindra.com. Retrieved 2016-07-17.
- "Sanjay Das Named CTO of Tippett Studio". Animation World Network.
- "Srinivas Tallapragada, President-Technology". Salesforce.com.
- "Founders at Work". Google Books.
- "Tim Brady First Non-Founding Employee, Yahoo". pediapedia.org.
- "Madan Jampani's schedule for ONS2016". ons2016.sched.org. Retrieved 2016-07-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Institute of Technology, Warangal.|