National Institute of Technology Mizoram
|Motto||Knowledge is the Ultimate Goal|
|Endowment||Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India|
|Location||Aizawl, Mizoram, 796012, India|
National Institute of Technology Mizoram, also known as NIT Mizoram or NITMZ, is one of the 31 National Institutes of Technology in India. It is situated in Aizawl, Mizoram. NIT Mizoram was one of the ten new NITS established by the Ministry Of Human Resources Development, Govt. of India vide its order no. F. 23-13-2009-TS-III Dated 30 October 2009 and 3 March 2010.
In view of the above NIT Mizoram was started in the year 2010 in the state of Mizoram with an objective to impart education, research & training leading to B.Tech, M.Tech, M.Sc. & PhD. degrees. This institute has been declared as an Institute of National Importance by an Act of Parliament. Here the students are admitted through All India Entrance Exam- Joint Entrance Exam (JEE Main).
NIT Mizoram campus was initially planned in Thenzawl by the Chief Minister of Mizoram, Pu Lalthanhawla it was later shifted to a place located near Lengpui Airport, which is very close to Aizawl, Capital of Mizoram.
The Institute is currently functioning in a temporary campus in the city of Aizawl. It comprises 1 Administrative Block and 4 Academic Blocks at Chaltlang, 3 Hostel Blocks at Tanhril and 1 Hostel Block at Durtlang.
The permanent campus is proposed to be located at Lengpui, Aizawl district. The total demarcated land area is 190 acres (77 ha).
The Bachelors programme B. Tech in Computer Science & Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering and Electrical & Electronics Engineering were started in the year 2010-11 and Department Of Mechanical engineering and Civil engineering started in 2013-14. The classes of NIT Mizoram were started from 2010 in Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur and shifted to Aizawl only in 2011. The classes are currently operating from Dawrkawn, Chaltlang locality of Aizawl. College can be reached easily as Aizawl is connected by airways and roadways.NIT Mizoram Lengpui Campus Foundation stone was laid by Kapil Sibal, Minister of Human Resource Development on 13 October 2012.
The institute has the following departments:
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Mechanical Engineering
The Institute organizes three fests every year.
- Morphosis: annual technical festival
- Annunad: annual cultural festival
- Shaurya: annual sports festival
The Institute has certain clubs for extra-curricular activities which are maintained by the students’ body under the guidance of faculties-in-charge for all-round development. These include:
- S4O(Search for Origin): the Science Club of NITMz which brings together the elite minds of NITMz to understand the source of technical skills(science beyond technology).
- DRISTHI:The Photography Club of NITMz.
- HackerRank Club: The Coding Club of NITMz.
- NIT Conclave(Mizoram Chapter) : NITMz even participates every year in NIT Conclave, a pan NIT Initiative by "NITIAN". It's the platform where student representative of each of the 30 NITs have a meeting where presentations and negotiations are made for noble cause.
In addition to these clubs, there are certain societies which are run by the student body (i.e., Students Activity Centre) which plays the vital role in organizing the fests.
- Technical Society of NITMz: Major contribution in technical events of Morphosis includes imparting knowledge on artificial Intelligence and coding domains.
- Cultural Society of NITMz: Short film making, Documentary presentations etc.
- Sports Society of NITMz: SHAURYA is organized by the mentioned Society.
The Students at present are being lodged in Saizahawla Boarding School (SBS) in Tanhril, near Mizoram University There are 2 more Halls of Residence : One in Tanhril and the other in Durtlang. Buses operate daily to college campus from all hostels free of cost for hostelers.Hostel are safe and secure.
- Boys Hostel-1 : SBS,Tanhril for 1st Years
- Boys Hostel-2 : Tanhril, for 2nd Years.
- Boys Hostel-3 : Durtlang,for 3rd & 4th years
- Girls Hostel : SBS , Tanhril
- "NIT hmun tur sawn vangin darkar 2 lirthei dang dawn". Vanglaini.org. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- "Site for NIT in Mizoram finalized". Meghalaya Times. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- Times News Network (25 June 2011). "Students slam Mizoram NIT for attempting to commence classes sans infrastructure". Times of India. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- Chawngte, Lalramliana. "HRD MINISTER IN NIT MIZORAM CAMPUS DINNA TUR LUNGPHUM A PHUM". DIPR Mizoram. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "National Institute of Technology Mizoram". www.nitmz.ac.in. Retrieved 21 January 2018. Click on "Departments".