National Institute of Technology Sikkim
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Motto in English
|Chairman||Mahesh Chandra Govil |
|Dean||Ranjan Basak (Academics)|
|Director||Mahesh Chandra Govil |
|Location||Ravangla, Sikkim, India
|Affiliations||UGC , MHRD, AICTE|
The National Institute of Technology Sikkim, commonly referred to as NIT Sikkim or NIT SKM, is a public engineering institution near the city of Ravangla in Sikkim, India. It is one of the 31 National Institutes of Technology in India and has been declared as an Institute of National Importance by the Government of India. It is an autonomous institute and functioning under the aegis of Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
National Institute of Technology, Sikkim is one among the ten newly sanctioned National Institutes of Technology by the Government of India under the 11th Five year Plan, 2009. NIT Sikkim started functioning in August, 2010.
Currently it is being operated from temporary campus at the Barfung Block, Ravangla Sub Division of South Sikkim. Ravangla campus is surrounded by great scenic beauty. It is likely to continue its activities at Ravangla Campus till its permanent campus comes up at Pakyong, Sikkim. It is managed by the NIT Sikkim Society registered under the Societies Act.
|This section does not cite any sources. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
All courses and examinations are conducted in English language as the only mode of instruction. NIT Sikkim offers a 4-year Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) programme in various engineering fields, as well as a 2-year Master of Technology (M.Tech) programmes and PhD Programmes. Admission to undergraduate programmes is taken through JEE (Main). Admission to postgraduate courses are through the GATE for Master of Technology (M.Tech.)
Academic departments include:
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Physics
- Department of Mathematics
- Allied departments
- Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Currently it is operating from a temporary campus at Ravangla.
PARAM Kanchenjunga supercomputer
NIT Sikkim is home to PARAM Kanchenjunga, one of the PARAM series of supercomputers. Unveiled in April 2016, it is the fastest supercomputer among NITs. Costing ₹3 crore (US$470,000), it was built with collaboration of Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC).
The institute has a central library which caters to all the academic needs of students. The library also subscribes to a number of scientific journals and magazines.
The institute is part of the multi-gigabit National Knowledge Network (NKN), a National research and education network. The academic buildings are all Wi-Fi enabled and they are connected through high speed LAN too. All the labs are also connected to the internet through high speed LAN. Almost all hostels are provided with internet facility through Wi-Fi or LAN and other hostels will also be provided in near future.
An Auditorium is inside the campus for important occasions and cultural events.
The Institute provides boarding facilities to the students and the faculty members, on the campus. The Institute provides separate hostels for the male and female students with separate mess facilities.
The Institute has playgrounds with facilities for playing cricket, football, volleyball etc. It also has facilities to play badminton, table tennis etc. The institution also hosts a number of intra-sports tournaments for its students which are handled by the student body of NIT Sikkim.
- Sports Week provides opportunity for the students to participate in inter-department volleyball, football, table-tennis, badminton and kho-kho tournaments as well as athletic events.
- Xplode Cricket Cup is the annual intra-NIT cricket tournament.
- Sangharsh is the annual chess tournament .
Extracurricular activities include an innovation cell, the community development society Aayas, mechanical engineers society Yantrikaa, the Illuzion dance club and the photography club.
- "Board of Governors, NIT Sikkim".
- "Director, NIT Sikkim".
- "Eleventh five year plan 2007-12,section 6.83" (PDF). Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "Union HRD Minister Smt Irani to lay NIT Sikkim foundation stone at Pakyong". The Voice Of Sikkim. 2016-06-09. Retrieved 2016-06-10.
- "National Institute of Technology Sikkim". Joint Seat Allocation Authority. 2017. Retrieved 3 September 2017.
- "'Param Kanchenjunga' fastest supercomputer among NITs". Business Standard India. Indo-Asian News Service. 17 April 2016.
- "Clubs". nitsikkim.ac.in. NIT Sikkim. Retrieved 3 September 2017.
- "Home | Abhiyantran'16". abhiyantran.nitsikkim.ac.in. Retrieved 3 September 2017.
- "About Us". udgam.nitsikkim.ac.in. Retrieved 3 September 2017.