National Institute of Water Sports
Officer in charge
|Dr. Sutheeshna Babu. S (PhD)|
|Location||Panaji, Goa, India
|A variety of water sports|
The National Institute of Water Sports (NIWS) is an autonomous body constituted under the Ministry of Tourism, Government of India. The Institute, only one of its nature in South Asia, acts as the apex body for training, education, consultancy and research on areas related to Watersports. The certification and licensing from this Institute are required for carrying out operations in water-bodies such as handling different watercrafts for the tourists, swimming pools, water theme-parks etc. Some major disciplines for training and education are life saving, powerboat handling, sailing, windsurfing, water skiing, scuba diving, river rafting and kayaking. From Academic Year 2016, long duration courses like MBA- Tourism (Tourism & Leisure) & BBA- Tourism & Travel programmes would also be offered at its state-of-the art campus.
The National Institute of Water Sports was established in July 1990 on a 16.5 acres beach side plot in Panaji as a A Centre under Indian Institute of Tourism and Travel Management (IITTM) by the Ministry of Tourism, Government of India. It is considered as the first institute of its kind in the South East Asia. The Board of Governors of IITTM controls the activities of the institute.
The Institute is the apex body for water sports in India and the nodal agency for training, consultancy, development, regulation, framing safety norms, benchmarking and promotion of water sports. The spectrum of activities ranges from advising state government agencies and corporate/ private entrepreneurs on safety norms, preparation of feasibility studies, organising water sports awareness and water safety campaigns, inspection and certification of water sports centres to training on water sports disciplines. A training program namely "Sea Rescue Squad" has been introduced recently. It is also actively engaged in competence building of defence agencies especially in the domain of aqua-based adventures.
The state-of-the art campus being built for the Institute at Caranzalem, Panjim, Goa has all modern training and education facilities including an Olympic-size gradient swimming pool. It is bestowed with a cutting-edge talent and faculty pool. Efforts are also being made to expand the facility and cover a wide range of adventure sports including land-based adventures  at Caranzalem, Panjim in Goa.
Rowers in a coxed eight
For 2016-17, MBA- Tourism (Tourism&Leisure) and BBA- Tourism & Travel would be offered.
- Dinghy Sailing (Enterprise Class)
- River Rafting
- Out Board Motor Maintenance (Basic)
- Out Board Motor Maintenance (Advanced)
- FRP Boat Repair
- Tiller-controlled Power Boat Handling (PBH-T)
- Remote Controlled Powerboat Handling (PBH-R)
- Life Saving Techniques for Water-sport Operator (LST-WS)
- Life Saving Techniques for Water-park Lifeguard (LST-WP)
- Life Saving Techniques for Pool Lifeguard (LST-P)
- Surf Life Saving Techniques (SLST-S)
- Silver Certification for Beach Lifeguard
- Surf Life Saving Techniques (SLST-G)
- Gold Certification for Beach Lifeguard
- CPR Training
- CPR Demonstration Programme
For Resorts and Industries
- PWC / Jet Ski Conversion
- Parasail boat conversion course (Remote/ Level-3)
- Parasail Operations
- Sea Rescue and Equipment Operations
- Watersport Centre Management
- Watersport Orientation Programme for Executives (Course fee includes boarding and lodging)
- Communication Skills for Watersport Instructors
- Entrepreneurship Development Programme
Setting-up of Infrastructure
During the setting up of the Institute at Caranzalem, there were oppositions from some sections of local fishermen citing that it could affect the traditional fishing in the area and thereby their livelihood. The Goenchea Raponkarancho Ekvott (GRE), an organization of fishermen also submitted a memorandum to the Goa government against setting up of the campus, citing that it would violate the coastal regulation (CRZ) zone guidelines. However, the authorities of the Institute clarified the matter to concerned agencies of the government and the local communities and there is no violation of CRZ stipulations. According to them, the concerns are misplaced and the full-fledged infrastructure would rather be complementary and beneficial to the local communities. The concept and the design of the Institute are such that it nourishes the ecosystem around. Media also reported that all necessary permissions are in place for the development of the campus. The apprehensions of the local communities were also clarified since there was some misunderstanding on its impacts.This environment-friendly infrastructure would be fully operational very shortly.  http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/goa/Water-sports-institute-to-get-new-iconic-building-at-Caranzalem/articleshow/26377677.cms
NIWS has published two papers with regard to water sports and tourism.
- A Report on Problems and Prospects Of Accessible Tourism In India
- A Report on Analyzing the Factors Responsible for Slow-Down in Tourist Arrivals in India
- HSRT: A Report on Evaluation of the Hunar se Rozgar Tak (From Skill Development to Employment) Scheme in India
- Tourism Development Revisited
- Coastal Tourism Development: Patterns & Issues
Apart from the two papers, NIWS has also come out with a brochure on Safety Norms for Watersports.
- NIWS – National Institute of Watersports (Panaji, Goa, India)
- "Incredible India – About Us". incredibleindia.org. Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- SPM National Institute of Watersports, Ministry of Tourism, adventure tourism, watersport, sailing, windsurfing, water skiing, scuba diving, river rafting, kayaking, Goa, trai...
- Government of India, Ministry of Tourism
- National Institute of Water Sports, GOA
- Welcome to Indian Institute Of Tourism & Travel Management
- Water sports institute to get new iconic building at Caranzalem – GOACOM – GOA – INDIA – INFORMATION AND SERVICES IN GOA. Goa News, Goa Konkani News, Goa Sunaparant News, Goan...
- National Institute of Water Sports, Goa | University Directory
- Adventure Sports Training Institute
- Fishermen oppose plan to set up water sports unit in Goa – The Hindu
- water sports
- ACCS-Final Archived 2014-12-22 at the Wayback Machine.
- Slowdown Final For Pdf