National Insurance Company
|Founder||Gordhan Das Dutia|
|India and Nepal|
|Tajinder Mukherjee (Chairman & MD)|
|Revenue||₹14,233 crore (US$2.0 billion) (2020)|
|₹−2,935 crore (US$−410 million) (2020)|
|₹−2,170 crore (US$−300 million) (2020)|
|Total assets||₹34,782 crore (US$4.9 billion) (2020)|
|Owner||Government of India (100%)|
Number of employees
|Parent||Ministry of Finance , Government of India|
National Insurance Company Limited (NICL) is an Indian government owned general insurance company. It is under the ownership of Ministry of Finance , Government of India. Its catchline is "Trusted Since 1906" in italic. The company headquartered at Kolkata was established in 1906 by Gordhandas Dutia and Jeevan Das Dutia and National Insurance company and Asian Insurance company was nationalised in 1972. Its portfolio consists of a multitude of general insurance policies, offered to a wide arena of clients encompassing different sectors of the economy. Apart from being a leading insurance provider in India, NICL also serves Nepal.
After nationalisation in 1972, NICL operated as a subsidiary of General Insurance Corporation of India (GIC). National Insurance Company Limited was spun off as a distinct company under the General Insurance Business (Nationalisation) Amendment Act in 2002. In April 2004, NIC signed an agreement with Nainital Bank for distribution of its general insurance products through the bank's branches in Uttarakhand, Haryana and New Delhi.
National Insurance Company Limited was incorporated on 5 December 1906 with its registered office in Kolkata. Consequent to passing of the General Insurance Business Nationalisation Act in 1972, 21 Foreign and 11 Indian Companies were merged with it and National became a subsidiary of General Insurance Corporation of India (GIC) which is fully owned by the Government of India. After the notification of the General Insurance Business and its India's largest General Insurance Company(Nationalisation) Amendment Act, on 7 August 2002, National has been de-linked from its holding company GIC and presently operates as an independent insurance company wholly owned by Govt of India. National Insurance Company Ltd (NIC) is one of the public sector insurance companies of India. It transacts a non-life insurance business. Headquartered in Kolkata, NIC's network of about 2000 offices is spread over the country. NIC's foreign operations are carried out from its branch offices in Nepal. The paid-up share capital of National is ₹1 billion. Starting off with a premium base of ₹50 crores in 1974, NIC's gross direct premium income has steadily grown to about ₹160 billion rupees in the financial year 2017–18. National transacts general insurance business of Fire, Marine and Miscellaneous insurance. As of 2010, NICL has a AAA rating from Indian rating agency, CRISIL, a subsidiary of Standard and Poor's Company. The gross premiums from underwriting by the company grew by 32.22% to over ₹61 billion during the Financial Year 2010–2011. And Gross Premium grew up to 100 billion during the financial year 2013–2014. With this, the company was ranked second among general insurance companies operating in India, behind New India Assurance, at the end of the 2014 Financial Year. With about 2000 offices and approximately 11,000 employees and many more agents, the company operates in all of India, and neighbouring Nepal. In 2008, the company signed a deal with HCL Technologies worth almost ₹4 billion to outsource the company's information technology requirements over 7 years. On the 2nd of February 2018, the Government of India announced the merger of National Insurance Company Limited with United India Insurance Company and Oriental Insurance.
Products and services
- Personal Insurance policies include medical insurance, accident, property and auto insurance coverage
- Rural Insurance policies provide protection against natural and climatic disasters for agriculture and rural businesses
- Industrial Insurance policies provide coverage for the project, construction, contracts, fire, equipment loss, theft, etc.
- Commercial Insurance policies provide protection against loss and damage of property during transportation, transactions, etc.
- "National Insurance Company Financial Statements" (PDF). nationalinsurance.nic.co.in. Retrieved 14 July 2020.
- "Company Profile". NICL. Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- "The General Insurance Business (Nationalisation) Act". Legal India. Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- "Company Profile". Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "National Insurance Company Ltd - National Insurance India, Profile Of National Insurance Company Ltd". www.iloveindia.com. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "NIC ties up with Nainital Bank". The Hindu. 13 April 2004. Archived from the original on 8 May 2004.
- "National Insurance Company Ltd". www.crisil.com. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "Ratings". CRISIL. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "IRDA Journal" (PDF). Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority. May 2011. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- "HCL Technologies Ltd". Economic Times. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- "Budget 2018: Merging 3 PSU general insurers is prudent, says National Insurance CMD". Moneycontrol. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "Policies". NICL. Archived from the original on 8 October 2011. Retrieved 17 August 2011.