National Intelligence Secretariat (Ecuador)
National Intelligence Secretariat (Secretaría Nacional de Inteligencia, SENAIN) is the principal intelligence agency of the Republic of Ecuador. The agency was created in September 2009. The current director of SENAIN is Rommy Vallejo. Previous directors were Francisco Jijón, Homero Arellano, Luis Yépez, Raúl Patiño (brother of Ricardo Patiño) and Pablo Romero Quezada.
In June 2013, news and entertainment website BuzzFeed published documents that revealed SENAIN's domestic surveillance program using equipment purchased from two Israel-based companies, Elkat Security Engineering Ltd and UVision Air Ltd. SENAIN reportedly purchased the equipment via an intermediary named Gabriel Marcos Guecelevich.
Although Paul Manafort had not logged into the Ecuadoran embassy in London, SENAIN had records of his visits in 2015 and March 2016, which SENAIN had recorded him as "Paul Manaford [sic]", along with Russians. Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks, was using the embassy as a refuge at the time. The account of an Assange-Manafort meeting was not corroborated by other news organisations.
- "Manejo en cuenta privada para 'evitar rastreo de fondos'". El Universo (in Spanish). June 16, 2012. Retrieved June 30, 2013.
- Gray, Rosie (June 25, 2013). "Exclusive: Documents Illuminate Ecuador's Spying Practices". BuzzFeed. Retrieved June 30, 2013.
- Delgado, Andres (July 7, 2015). "Los enemigos de internet fueron hackeados". Gkillcity.com. Retrieved November 10, 2015.
- Harding, Luke; Collyns, Dan (November 27, 2018). "Manafort held secret talks with Assange in Ecuadorian embassy, sources say: Trump ally met WikiLeaks founder months before emails hacked by Russia were published". The Guardian. Retrieved November 27, 2018.
- Farhi, Paul (December 4, 2018). "The Guardian offered a bombshell story about Paul Manafort. It still hasn't detonated". The Washington Post. Retrieved April 25, 2019.
- Official website (in Spanish)
|This Ecuador-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|