National Kaohsiung Normal University
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Taiwan Provincial Kaohsiung Teachers’ College|
Motto in English
|Sincerity, Reverence, Greatness and Profundity|
|313 (full time)|
|National Kaohsiung Normal University|
The National Kaohsiung Normal University (NKNU；Kaohsiung Normal University), founded in 1967, is a public university located in Lingya District, Kaohsiung, Taiwan. The university has two campuses — Ho-Ping and Yen-Chao. The University currently has five colleges: College of Education, College of Humanities, College of Science, College of Technology, and College of Arts. NKNU has been considered as one of the best public and normal universities in Taiwan.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Committee of International Student Admissions
- 4 Registration and Tuition & Fees
- 5 Academics
- 6 International sister universities
- 7 Program for Promoting Teaching Excellence of Universities
- 8 Nature Publishing Index Asia-Pacific
- 9 Center of Language and Culture Teaching
- 10 Research Center for Adult Education
- 11 Center for Environmental Laboratory Services
- 12 Notable alumni
- 13 See also
- 14 References
National Kaohsiung Normal University (NKNU), formerly known as Taiwan Provincial Kaohsiung Teachers’ College, was founded in August 1967 by Taiwan Provincial Government. The University’s founding mission was to train secondary-school teachers for the implementation of the nine-year compulsory education. On July 1, 1980, the Institution was renamed National Kaohsiung Teachers’ College. On August 1, 1989 it was re-designated as National Kaohsiung Normal University. In 1989, the University initiated the plan to build the second campus in Yen-Chao district and inaugurated the campus in 1999.
The University is notable for the quantity, range and quality of its recreational offerings. There are currently more than 60 intramural student organizations, each with a faculty member as a consultant. The eight-floor multi-purpose Activity Center makes space available for clubs and recreational activities. Both on Ho-Ping and Yen-Chao campuses, the University provides men’s and women’s dormitories. Meals are provided on campus and coordinated by a food committee. Respectively on each campus, there is also a Medicare Center with physicians, dentists and psychiatrists to provide medical services to faculty and students.
NKNU’s Ho-Ping Campus is uniquely situated in a region with one of the greatest concentrations’ of cultural facilities and intellectual talent in the nation. Located in urban Kaohsiung, opposite the Chiang Kai-shek Cultural Center, the campus covers an area of 13 hectares. The interweaving of academic buildings and areas for relaxation—green lawns and trees and cultural spots—on the compact campus ensures the enjoyment of the educational resources. The University is particularly proud of its self-maintained lush landscaped gardens and sports field.
In September 1999, NKNU inaugurated its second campus at Yen-Chao, which is a scenic area of 50 hectares about 30 minutes drive from downtown Kaohsiung.
Committee of International Student Admissions
- National Kaohsiung Normal University - International Cooperation Section Office of Research and Development
Registration and Tuition & Fees
- Each academic year in Taiwan begins on August 1 and ends on July 31 of the following year.
- First semester classes usually begin in mid-September or late September and ends in mid-Jan.
- Second semester classes begin in late February of the following calendar year and ends in mid-June.
- Programs Degrees Offer to International Students
- Undergraduate Program： 4–6 years
- Master Program/Postgraduate Program： 2–3 years
- Doctoral Program： 2–6 years
- National Kaohsiung Normal University Bulletin of International Student Admissions 2013-2014 Academic Year
- Application from 21 March 2013 to 15 April 2013
- Delivery of Application Postmarked by 15 April 2013 (Taiwan Time)
International sister universities
- Beijing Normal University
- Shanghai Normal University
- South China Normal University
- East China Normal University
- Northeast Normal University
- Shaanxi Normal University
- Central China Normal University
- Hunan Normal University
- Renmin University of China
- Guangzhou University
- Jinan University
- Nanchang University
- Xiamen University
- Hong Kong
Program for Promoting Teaching Excellence of Universities
Program for Promoting Teaching Excellence of Universities is a competitive project. Only excellent universities possessing individual academic features, extraordinary performance and innovative teaching style are qualified to receive the subsidy from Ministry of Education in Taiwan. National Kaohsiung Normal University indicates that it has been supported by this program nine years in row and the accumulated amount reaches NT 275 million.
Nature Publishing Index Asia-Pacific
- Institution rankings for Taiwan : NKNU, The Top 5 Research Institutions in Taiwan.
- Based on the number 1 of papers that were published as Articles, Letters and Brief Communications, or Reviews from institutions in Taiwan that were published within the last 12 months in Nature and Nature monthly research journals.
- Top Institutions in Taiwan | Nature Publishing Index Asia-Pacific
Center of Language and Culture Teaching
- The CLCT offers a variety of non-credit language courses for international students and overseas Chinese students.
- The CLCT maintains a teacher to student ratio of 1 to 8.
- In addition to language courses, the CLCT also offers a variety of cultural workshops, such as Chinese Calligraphy, Chinese food, paper cutting and traditional handicrafts.
Research Center for Adult Education
- National Kaohsiung Normal University set up the Research Center for Adult Education on December 1, 1991 to actively promote lifelong learning for all citizens.
- This Center’s aim is to promote adult education research and practice in southern Taiwan and thus to help citizens keep up with the time.
- The center also organizes a group of adult education volunteers who enthusiastically support the center’s various activities.
Center for Environmental Laboratory Services
- Members of Environmental Legionella Isolation Techniques Evaluation (ELITE) by US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Prominent faculty members
- Huang Kuang-nan, Minister without Portfolio (2012-2014)
- Tsao Chi-hung, Minister of Council of Agriculture
- Tsai Ching-hwa, Political Deputy Minister of Education
- Pan Men-an, Magistrate of Pingtung County
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Kaohsiung Normal University.|