National Lampoon's Class Reunion
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: Writing quality has to be improved to meet Wikipedia's standards (February 2013)|
|National Lampoon's Class Reunion|
Class Reunion theatrical poster
|Directed by||Michael Miller|
|Produced by||Matty Simmons|
|Written by||John Hughes|
|Music by||Peter Bernstein
|Edited by||Ann Mills
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox (1982, original) Anchor Bay
MGM (2000 and 2005, DVD)
|Box office||$10.1 million|
Class Reunion is a 1982 black comedy horror film produced by National Lampoon as the third film from the magazine. It was the second film released; although National Lampoon Goes To The Movies was filmed in 1981, it was delayed and not released until 1983.
Lizzie Borden High's class of 1972 are getting ready to go through the motions at their ten year reunion, when a deranged alum Walter Baylor, who was driven insane by a horrible sadistic senior-year prank, escapes from the mental institution and decides to crash the party at his high school reunion. Guests start to disappear and are found dead, the other alumni, including the high class snooty yacht salesman Bob Spinnaker, class tease Bunny Packard, and the class zero Gary Nash, spring into action as they try to uncover the culprit and put an end to the nightmare that has become their class reunion.
Cast and crew
- Gerrit Graham - Bob Spinnaker
- Michael Lerner - Dr. Robert Young
- Misty Rowe - Cindy Shears
- Blackie Dammett - Walter Baylor
- Fred McCarren - Gary Nash
- Miriam Flynn - Bunny Packard
- Stephen Furst - Hubert Downs
- Mews Small - Iris Augen
- Shelly Smith - Meredith Modess
- Zane Buzby - Delores Salk
- Jacklyn Zeman - Jane Washborn
- Barry Diamond - Chip Hendrix
- Art Evans - Carl Clapton
- Marla Pennington - Mary Beth McFadden
- Randy Powell - Randy Powell
In 1982, Dell Publishing released a "photo novel" version book, adapted from John Hughes' screenplay by Sandra Choron.
National Lampoon's Class Reunion grossed $10,054,150 in total for its career. Opening weekend for the movie it made $3,086,525.
The score for the 1982 movie National Lampoons Class Reunion was composed by Peter Bernstein and Mark Goldenberg and includes a live onscreen performance by Chuck Berry, and a small scene where the actors perform the classic 1960 hit "Stop! in the Name of Love". The score was edited by Jim Harrison and Lada Productions.
- Songs performed by:'
- Gary "U.S." Bonds - "Class Reunion" (written by Peter Bernstein and Mark Goldenberg
- Chuck Berry - "It Wasn't Me", "My Dingaling", and "Festival"
National Lampoon history
National Lampoon's Class Reunion was the second big-screen movie that was released from the Original National Lampoon Company. The movie had a huge buildup, and viewers expected it to be another hit for the National Lampoon franchise, because it was following National Lampoon's Animal House, the company's first big-screen release in 1978. The original company consisted of the writers from the National Lampoon magazine and the some of the cast from the National Lampoon Radio Hour and the stage show National Lampoon's Lemmings.
National Lampoon's Class Reunion suffered negative reviews on release.
- Critic's Review
According to T.V. Guide "this is a very unfunny film which was released after the successful National Lampoon's Animal House, and which died at the box office, focuses on the 10th reunion of a 1972 high-school graduating class. The plot combines both comedy and horror-slasher elements, a combination that doesn't work. A murderer is killing off class members, who are such dull, dreary creatures no one could blame him. Even Chuck Berry, who makes brief appearance singing a melody of his songs, cant save this one."
Christopher Tookey states,"Very inferior follow-up to Animal House, with remarkably tasteless basis for comedy. John Hughes can be blamed for the script, a feeble spoof of a slasher movie. Songs are used to extend running length, but even Chuck Berry seems under par."
- Blaise, Judd. "National Lampoon's Class Reunion". AllMovie.
- IMDb-National Lampoons Class Reunion
- IMDb-Cast and Crew
- IMDb- Cast and Crew
- "National Lampoon's Class Reunion". boxofficemojo.com. Retrieved 2011-03-29 / Box Office Mojo. Check date values in:
- Turner Classic Movies
- National Lampoon Wiki link
- T.V. Guide
- Christopher Tookey
- Official website at MGM.com
- National Lampoon's Class Reunion at the Internet Movie Database
- National Lampoon's Class Reunion at AllMovie