National Libraries Day
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (March 2013)|
To celebrate National Libraries Day, events including author talks and competitions are organised across the country by local authorities, universities, other providers of library services and local community groups.
The 2013 event was scheduled to take place on 9 February 2013.
Following Save our Libraries Day in 2011, author and library campaigner Alan Gibbons proposed that the first day in February be made National Libraries Day after receiving emails suggesting that there should be a chance to "celebrate our libraries".
On 25 May 2011, Gibbons announced that:
We are delighted to launch National Libraries Day, a week of events in early February leading to a day of celebration of reading, libraries and librarians around the United Kingdom. A reading child is a successful child. A child who goes to the library is twice as likely to be a good reader and that child becomes a literate adult, a lifelong reader. There are 320 million visits a year to our libraries but we can make them even more popular.
The Library Book
In support of the first National Libraries Day, a book was published featuring a number of authors contributing their thoughts on why they think libraries matter. The book features contributions from Alan Bennett, Julian Barnes and Stephen Fry, with all the proceeds going to The Reading Agency to aid their work supporting libraries.
National Libraries Day is supported by a range of organisations including:
- The Bookseller
- Campaign for the Book
- Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals
- The Library Campaign
- National Literacy Trust
- The Publishers Association
- The Reading Agency
- The Society of Authors
- Voices for the Library
- Women's Institutes
- "National Libraries Day official website". Retrieved January 28, 2012.
- "Support your library while you still can - The Herald". Retrieved January 30, 2012.
- "A library fit for the future - Matthew Cain's blog". Retrieved February 2, 2012.
- Chilton, Martin (February 4, 2012). "Julia Donaldson poem against library closures - The Telegraph". The Daily Telegraph. London. Retrieved February 5, 2012.
- "Children's laureate Julia Donaldson pens protest poem - BBC". BBC News. February 4, 2012. Retrieved February 5, 2012.
- "National Libraries Day takes place on Saturday 9 February 2013 - CILIP". Retrieved January 8, 2013. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "CILIP" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Page, Benedicte (February 4, 2011). "Protests across the UK expected for Save Our Libraries Day - The Guardian". London. Retrieved February 2, 2012.
- "Gibbons proposes National Libraries Day - The Bookseller". Retrieved February 2, 2012.
- "The Bookseller". Retrieved January 28, 2012.