National Library of Algeria
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
View of the National Library of Algeria at Hamma in Algiers
The National Library of Algeria (in Arabic: المكتبة الوطنيّة الجزائريّة) has been in existence since Independence in the 1960s and it was modeled after a large administrative library that was established in 1835 by the French colonial authorities. A new building, constructed in the 1990s to house the million or so volumes of the national library, also enabled the library to considerably develop its services. Algeria's scientific and technical information needs are ensured by two organizations, the Centre for Technical and Scientific Information and Technology Transfer, the Algerian equivalent of the INIS network, and the National Social and Economic Documentation Centre, established in 1971, which ensures the selection and indexing of automated documentation on the social and economic development of the country and the collection of statistical data.
It has a surface area of 67000m² and was designed to house more than 10 million books. It can accommodate more than 2500 readers at a time. It is the legal deposit and copyright for Algeria.
- FONDS PATRIMONIAL DE LA BIBLIOTHÈQUE NATIONALE D’ALGÉRIE: POUR UNE STRATÉGIE DE CONSERVATION ET DE DÉVELOPPEMENT, Par Boutaba MESSAOUDA 
- Lajeunesse, M.; Sène, H. (2004). "Legislation for library and information services in French-speaking Africa revisited". The International Information & Library Review. 36 (4): 367. doi:10.1016/j.iilr.2004.03.002.
- "Problems affecting the development of libraries in Algeria". Focus on International & Comparative Librarianship. UK: Library Association. 14. 1983. ISSN 0305-8468. (Includes national library)
- Marcel Lajeunesse, ed. (2008). "Algérie". Les Bibliothèques nationales de la francophonie (PDF) (in French) (3rd ed.). Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec. OCLC 401164333.
- "Algeria", World Report 2010, The Hague: International Federation of Library Associations, OCLC 225182140,
Freedom of access to information(Includes information about the national library)
- "Cultural heritage digitization projects in Algeria". IFLA Journal. 41 (3). 2015. doi:10.1177/0340035215603994. (Describes efforts of the national library)
- Official site (in Arabic)
|This article about an Algerian building or structure related topic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to library science or information science is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|