National Library and Documentation Services Board
|This article does not cite any sources. (April 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
National Library and Documentation Services Board is the agency of the government of Sri Lanka which helps maintains all state libraries around the country including the Colombo Library but the management of individual libraries in cities and towns are carried out by the Municipal Council.
The National Library and Documentation Services Board (NLDSB) was established under the act No: 51 of 1998 succeeding the Sri Lanka National Library Services Board which was established in 1970. The board is placed under the Ministry of Education. The present Board of Directors consists of 11 members including a full-time Chairman. The Director General is the chief executive and secretary of the Board.
Aims and objectives
- To assess the need for library and documentation services among all sectors of the community and to promote the development of library and documentation services
- To administer, manage and control the affairs of the National Library and Documentation Centre
- To advise the authorities regarding plans, programmes and activities for the development of library and documentation services in Sri Lanka
- To promote co-operation in library and documentation services in Sri Lanka
- To provide professional advice, training and facilitate the provision of technical, material and financial assistance including the provision of furniture, equipment and library and documentation materials to libraries in Sri Lanka
- To promote the development of the library and documentation profession in Sri Lanka
- To initiate, promote, conduct and co-ordinate research, surveys and investigations in relation to all aspects of library and documentation services
- To formulate and promulgate national standards with regard to all aspects of library and documentation services
- To promote the reading habit through the production of publications, the provision of advice and assistance to other agencies for the production of publications and through exhibitions, displays and other promotional activities
- To organize meetings, training courses, exhibitions and other activities in connection with any aspect of its work
- To initiate and finance competitions, prizes and awards in connection with any aspects of its activities
- To do all such acts which in the opinion of the Board are necessary for or conducive or incidental to the attainment of its functions.