National Lyceum (São Tomé and Príncipe)
Liceu Nacional in 2014
Avenida (Marginal) 12 de Julho
São Tomé, São Tomé Island
|Established||6 October 1969|
|Number of students||c. 6,000 (2015)|
National Lyceum (Liceu Nacional) is a lyceum (secondary school) located at Avenida Marginal 12 Julho in the city of São Tomé, São Tomé and Príncipe. It is one of the oldest secondary schools in the nation. It currently has an estimate of 6,000 students. The lyceum is located on the seafront, east of the city centre.
The lyceum was opened on 6 October 1969 as a technical school, Escola Técnica Silva e Cunha. The building was designed by architect Mário de Oliveira, who was also responsible for the 1962 urbanisation plan for São Tomé. It became a liceu after independence. For 36 years, until 2011, it was the only high school in the country.
- Tomé Vera Cruz, Prime Minister of São Tomé and Príncipe from 2006-2008, class of 1975
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Liceu Nacional (São Tomé).|
- Castro, Adilson (27 September 2016). "Arranca novo Ano Lectivo 2016-2017 em São Tomé e Príncipe". Diário de São Tomé e Príncipe - Jornal Transparência. Retrieved 2012-12-20.
- Milheiro, Ana Vaz (2008). "Liceu Nacional (Formerly the Escola Técnica Silva e Cunha)". Heritage of Portuguese Influence/ Património de Influência Portuguesa — HPIP. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- Arquitetura da Escola Técnica: O Caso da Cidade de São Tomé, Caiado, João Bento Lourenço Sêrro Franco, Faculty of Architecture at the University of Lisbon, November 2015, p. 18 and 44
- "New Lyceum Opened by Fradique de Menezes". Tela Non (in Portuguese). 30 August 2011.