National Mathematics Year
In India and in Nigeria the year 2012 CE is celebrated and believed as the National Mathematics Year. In India, the National Mathematics Year is celebrated as a tribute to the mathematical genius Srinivasa Ramanujan who was born on 22 December 1887 and whose 125th birthday falls on 22 December 2012. In Nigeria, the year 2012 is observed as National Mathematics Year as part of the Federal Government’s effort to promote and popularize the study of mathematics.
National Mathematics Year in India
The decision to designate the year 2012 CE as National Mathematics Year was announced by Dr Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of India, during the inaugural ceremony of the celebrations to mark the 125th birth anniversary of Srinivasa Ramanujan held at the Madras University Centenary Auditorium on 26 February 2012. The Prime Minister also announced that December 22 would be celebrated as National Mathematics Day from 2012 onwards.
An Organising Committee with Professor M.S. Raghunathan, President of the Ramanujan Mathematical Society as chair, and Professor Dinesh Singh, Secretary of the Ramanujan Mathematical Society as secretary, has been formed to formulate and implement programmes and projects as part of the observance of the National Mathematics Year. A National Committee with Minister for Kapil Sibal as the chair supervises the activities of the Organising Committee.
National Mathematics Year in Nigeria
In Nigeria, the various activities planned as part of the celebration of National Mathematics Year would be centred on the theme Mathematics: The Key to Transformation. The events were inaugurated on 1 March 2012 at a function in Musa Yar’adua Dome, Abuja. Thirteen projects of national importance are planned as part of the celebrations.
- "PM's speech at the 125th Birth Anniversary Celebrations of Ramanujan at Chennai". Government of India. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- K Venkataramanan (26 December 2011). "Manmohan's concern over decline in quality of maths teachers". The Hindu. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- Idoko, Clement (27 February 2012). "FG declares 2012 National Mathematics Year". Nigerian Tribune. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- Onochie, Maureen (20 February 2012). "Jonathan proclaims 2012 as National Mathematics year". Daily Trust. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "Year-long celebration". The Hindu. 26 December 2011. Retrieved 20 April 2012.