National Metallurgical Laboratory
National Metallurgical Laboratory is an Indian research center that functions under the aegis of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research.
In 1944, the then Government released ₹10 million (US$149,037) to set up National Physical Laboratory, National Chemical Laboratory and National Metallurgical Laboratory (NML). This was seen as a step by the Government to develop industry in pre-independent India, and also as an incentive to private firms to support industrial research. As a result, the Tata Trust promised to donate ₹1.17 million (US$17,000) to NML. A year later, Ardeshir Dalal – the then member of planning and development for the government – confirmed the location of NML to be Jamshedpur. In 1946, the governing body approved the final plans for NML. As per that, the laboratory was to be set up with an initial capital expenditure of ₹4.28 million (US$64,000).
On 21 November 1946, Honorable Mr. C. Rajagopalachari laid the foundation stone of the laboratory in front of representatives from the iron and steel industry. Dr. George Sachs, an American metallurgist was appointed as the first director of the laboratory. Since October 1949, the technological block of the laboratory started functioning effectively. On 26 November 1950, the country's first prime minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru inaugurated the laboratory. This was followed by a two-day conference that was held in the presence of the directors of National Physical Laboratory, National Chemical Laboratory, Central Road Research Laboratory, Fuel Research Institute, NML and Central Glass and Ceramic Research Laboratory. The conference noted the essential articles that were not produced in the country, but will be required during emergencies.
- "National Metallurgical Laboratory - Web site". National Metallurgical Laboratory. 2015. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "Civil Estimates". The Indian Express. 1 March 1944. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Glass and Ceramic Research Institute – Sir A. R. Dalal lays foundation stone". The Indian Express. 26 December 1945. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Atomic Research in Tata Institute". The Indian Express. 19 September 1946. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- Contractor, G P (1946). "National Metallurgical Laboratory: Foundation-Stone Laying Ceremony, 21st November 1946" (PDF). Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research. 5 (6): 256–261.
- "American Director for Metallurgical Laboratory". The Indian Express. 9 March 1947. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Modernisation of Jari Production : Dr. Sachs' suggestions for Surat and Benaras". The Indian Express. 1 April 1949. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Work on other schemes". The Indian Express. 5 May 1950. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Nehru to visit Jamshedpur". The Indian Express. 24 November 1950. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "National Laboratories' Chiefs Corner". The Indian Express. 27 November 1950. Retrieved 18 August 2012.