Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales
- National Museum Cardiff – formerly the National Museum of Wales
- St Fagans National Museum of History, Cardiff
- Big Pit National Coal Museum, Blaenavon
- National Wool Museum, Dre-fach Felindre near Llandysul
- National Slate Museum, Llanberis
- National Roman Legion Museum, Caerleon
- National Waterfront Museum, Swansea
In addition to these sites, the organisation runs Oriel y Parc, a gallery of Welsh landscape art in St David's, in partnership with the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority. The National Collections Centre in Nantgarw is AC-NMW's storage facility.
In 2021 National Museums Wales was found to be "systemically racist" in a report which concluded that the Welsh-speaking requirements at it and the Arts Council of Wales limited opportunities for ethnic minorities, leading to a perception that "Welsh means white".
Directors of the National Museum of Wales
- William Evans Hoyle (1908–1924)
- Sir Mortimer Wheeler (1925–1926)
- Sir Cyril Fox (1926–1948)
- D. Dilwyn John (1948–1968)
- Gwyn Jones (1968–1977)
- Douglas Bassett (1977–1985)
- David W. Dykes (1986–1989)
- Alastair Wilson (1989–1993)
- Colin Ford (1993–1998)
- Anna Southall (1998–2002)
- Michael Houlihan (2003–2010)
- David Anderson (2010–)
In 2017 over 1.89m visitors attended the National Museum sites. The most popular site for 2017 was St. Fagans and in 2016 the most popular attraction was National Museum Cardiff.
|Museum||Visitor numbers (2017)||Image|
|St Fagans National Museum of History||553,090|
|National Museum Cardiff||539,550|
|National Waterfront Museum||268,622|
|National Slate Museum||145,969|
|Big Pit National Coal Museum||141,969|
|National Roman Legion Museum||70,021|
|National Wool Museum||36,909|
- Oriel y Parc, Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales, retrieved 9 August 2015[permanent dead link]
- "Welsh language 'excludes minorities'". The Daily Telegraph. 20 August 2021. p. 1.
- Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales (corporate author) (2007), Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales: Celebrating the first 100 years, Cardiff: National Museum Wales Books, p. 182
- Price, Karen (13 January 2010), "National Museum Wales director Michael Houlihan takes up post in New Zealand", WalesOnline, retrieved 12 August 2015
- "New director general for National Museum Wales", BBC News, 12 July 2010, retrieved 12 August 2015
- Director General, National Museum Wales, retrieved 2 September 2018
- "Visits to tourist attractions in Wales 2017" (PDF). Visit Wales. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- Rhiannon Mason, Museums, Nations, Identities: Wales and its National Museums, Cardiff, University of Wales Press, 2007, 256 p. ISBN 0708319726