National Museums of the United Kingdom
There are a number of National Museums in the United Kingdom, which are owned and operated by the state. The national museums of the UK are funded by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) of the United Kingdom government, and are all located in England. There are 14 national museums, all established by Acts of Parliament, as well as another eight which are sponsored by the DCMS.
In addition, there are national museums in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, which are supported by the devolved legislatures. National museums in Scotland are funded by the Scottish Executive Education Department, in Wales by the Welsh Government, and in Northern Ireland by the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure of the Northern Ireland Executive.
Free entrance is standard practice in all UK National Museums, although some exhibits do require an admission fee to view. Several of the museums have more than one location throughout the UK.
National Museums in England
National museums established by Act of Parliament
- British Museum, London
- Imperial War Museums, London, Cambridge and Manchester
- National Gallery, London
- National Maritime Museum, London
- National Museums Liverpool
- Science Museum Group
- National Portrait Gallery, London
- National Army Museum, Chelsea, London
- Natural History Museum, London
- Royal Armouries, Leeds, London and Portsmouth
- Sir John Soane's Museum, London
- Tate, London, Liverpool and St. Ives, Cornwall
- Victoria and Albert Museum, London
- Wallace Collection, London
- Geffrye Museum, London
- Horniman Museum and Gardens, London
- National Coal Mining Museum for England, Overton, West Yorkshire
National Museums in Scotland
National Museums in Wales
National Museums in Northern Ireland
- List of museums in England
- List of museums in Scotland
- List of museums in Wales
- List of museums in Northern Ireland
- "Department for Culture, Media and Sport - Sponsored Museums and Galleries". Archived from the original on 6 June 2007. Retrieved 1 August 2007.
- "National Museums of Scotland, Annual Report and Accounts, 2005-06". Retrieved 1 August 2007.
- "National Museum Wales Annual Report 05-06" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 2 August 2007.
- "National Museums Northern Ireland, Annual Report and Accounts, 2005-06" (PDF). Retrieved 1 August 2007.
- Department for Culture Media and Sport. "Sponsored Institutions". DCMS. Retrieved 1 June 2012.