National Night Out
This article needs attention from an expert in Canada, Holidays or Law Enforcement. The specific problem is: Is this event held in Canada too? It's unclear.(August 2018)
|National Night Out|
|Date||First Tuesday in August|
|2017 date||August 1|
|2018 date||August 7|
|2019 date||August 6|
|2020 date||August 4|
National Night Out is a community-police awareness-raising event in the United States, held the first Tuesday of August. Texas and Florida have the option to use the alternate date of the first Tuesday in October to avoid hot weather.
The event has been held annually since 1984, and is sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch in the United States and Canada. National Night Out began simply with neighbors turning on their porch lights and sitting in front of their homes. The first National Night Out involved 2.5 million residents across 400 communities in 23 states; National Night Out 2016 involved 38 million residents in 16,000 communities across the United States.
The events are typically organized by block watches, nonprofit organizations, companies, and police departments. These events can be as simple as backyard cookouts or as complex as full-blown festivals like the one on the west side of Columbus, Ohio. The South Central Hilltop Block Watch in Columbus organizes one of the largest, which includes live music, food, and entertainment.
In Oxnard, California, neighborhoods such as Sycamore Senior Village have cookouts, live music, dancing, and visits by police officers, fire fighters, and paramedics with safety demonstrations, exhibits, and projects for all residents.
- "Minnesota's Night To Unite". City of Golden Valley, Minnesota. August 3, 2015.
- Block, Deborah (August 3, 2016). "US National Night Out Brings Neighbors Together to Fight Crime". VOA News.
- "History". National Night Out. National Association of Town Watch. Retrieved June 13, 2017.
- Engel, Pamela (August 7, 2012). "Residents to spend Night Out, Block-watch events designed to put a crimp in crime". The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- Tash, Debra (July 14, 2016). "Ventura PD National Night Out". Citizens Journal (Ventura County, California). Retrieved June 13, 2017.
- National Association of Town Watch, sponsor of National Night Out