National Nurses United
|Bonnie Castillo (Executive Director) Deborah Burger, Zenei Cortez, Jean Ross (Presidents)|
National Nurses United (NNU) is the largest organization of registered nurses in the United States. The NNU, with more than 175,000 members across the country, is the most far-reaching union and professional association of registered nurses in the U.S. Founded in 2009 through the merging of the California Nurses Association/National Nurses Organizing Committee, the United American Nurses, and the Massachusetts Nurses Association, the NNU focuses on amplifying the voice of direct care RNs and patients in national policy. The union's policy positions include the enactment of safe nurse-to-patient ratios, patient advocacy rights at the Executive and State level, and legislation for single-payer health care to secure "quality healthcare for all, as a human right." The organization's goal is to "organize all direct care RNs into a single organization capable of exercising influence over the healthcare industry, governments, and employers."
The Executive Director of the national organization, which is affiliated with the AFL-CIO, is labor leader Bonnie Castillo, who also heads the 90,000-member California Nurses Association. The former Executive Director is RoseAnn DeMoro, who serves as National Vice President and Executive Board Member of the AFL-CIO.
Single-payer health care
Occupy Wall Street
National Nurses United has held numerous protests, including one in front of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and another on Wall Street, to protest privatization and profiteering in the health care industry.
Support for Bernie Sanders
In The New York Times on January 28, 2016, Nicholas Confessore reported, "According to Federal Election Commission records [NNU's] 'super PAC' has spent close to $1 million on ads and other support for Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders. The NNU spending was classified as "Expressly advocating the election or defeat of a clearly identified candidate."
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Nurses United.|
- "National Nurses United: About". Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Growing National Nurses United union steps up strikes in aggressive new strategy".
- "Nurses Rally for Health Care Funding". 7 June 2011.
- "National Nurses United". Common Dreams. Retrieved 2020-04-08.
- "National Nurses United".
- "Nation Conversations: Rose Ann DeMoro on Demanding a Decent Standard of Living For All Americans - The Nation". 21 June 2011.
- Peter, Nicholas (31 May 2016). "Nurses Seek Democratic Showdown". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- "Nurses, Unions Propose Wall Street Tax". VOA.
- "Bernie Sanders Tops His Rivals in Use of Outside Money". The New York Times. 28 January 2016.
- "New York Times Gets it Wrong: Bernie Sanders Not "Top Beneficiary of Outside Money"". The Intercept. 29 January 2016.