National Nurses United
|Key people||Deborah Burger, Zenei Cortez, Jean Ross (co-presidents)|
|Office location||Oakland, California|
National Nurses United (NNU) is the largest organization of registered nurses in the United States. The NNU was founded through the merging of the California Nurses Association/National Nurses Organizing Committee, the United American Nurses, and the Massachusetts Nurses Association.
They have held numerous protests, including one in front of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and another on Wall Street. The organization's leadership organized large-scale demonstrations demanding single payer healthcare at the 2016 Democratic National Convention.
The executive director for the national organization, which is affiliated with the AFL-CIO, is long-time labor leader RoseAnn DeMoro, who also heads the 90,000 member California Nurses Association.
In 2011, NNU launched a campaign called the Main Street Contract for the American People. The national organization is working to create a movement – through demonstrations and legislative bills—that helps working-class people who are struggling during hard economic times. The campaign goal is to reclaim an economy with good jobs at living wages, healthcare for all, quality education, good housing, protection from hunger, a safe environment, and a secure retirement for everyone.
Writing in The New York Times on January 28, 2016, Nicholas Confessore reported that "According to Federal Election Commission records [NNU's] "super PAC" has spent close to $1 million on ads and other support for Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders. The NNU spending was classified as "Expressly advocating the election or defeat of a clearly identified candidate."
- "National Nurses United: About". Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Growing National Nurses United union steps up strikes in aggressive new strategy".
- Peter, Nicholas (31 May 2016). "Nurses Seek Democratic Showdown". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- "Nation Conversations: Rose Ann DeMoro on Demanding a Decent Standard of Living For All Americans - The Nation". 21 June 2011.
- "Nurses, Unions Propose Wall Street Tax". VOA.
- "Bernie Sanders Tops His Rivals in Use of Outside Money". The New York Times. 28 January 2016.
- "New York Times Gets it Wrong: Bernie Sanders Not "Top Beneficiary of Outside Money"". The Intercept. 29 January 2016.