National Police Agency Security Bureau (Japan)
This article needs attention from an expert in Japan.August 2015)(
The Security Bureau of the National Police Agency (警察庁警備局 Keisatsu-chō Keibi-kyoku) is a bureau of the Japan's National Police Agency in charge of national-level internal security affairs. It supervises the Security Bureau and the Public Security Bureau of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department, and Security Departments of the Prefectural Police Departments for those issues.
The NPA SB is currently being commanded by Yoshihiko Oishi.
It's known that the NPA has bureaucratic disputes with the JSDF since the former was rebuilt by the Allied Forces in order to monitor any signs of pro-Communist activities.
Organization of the Security Bureau is as follows:
It is charged with internal counter-terrorism, countering cybercrime and surveillance of potentially threatening groups, organisations, and social phenomena: It's also tasked with providing close protection requirements to VIPs.
- Security Planning Division (警備企画課 Keibi Kikaku-ka)
- Security Coordination Office
- Image Data Analysis Office
- Intelligence Coordination Analysis Office
- Crisis Management Office
- Cyber Attack Analysis Center
- Public Security Division (公安課 Kōan-ka)
- Intelligence Countermeasure Office
- Far-Left Countermeasure Office
- Far-Right Countermeasure Office
- Special Organized Crime Countermeasure Office
- Security Division (警備課 Keibi-ka)
Foreign Affairs and Intelligence Department
- Foreign Affairs Division (外事課 Gaiji-ka)
- Foreign Affairs Technical Investigation Office
- Foreign Affairs Research Office
- Foreign Affairs Special Case Countermeasure Office
- Unauthorized Export Countermeasure Office
- Counter International Terrorism Division (国際テロリズム対策課 Kokusai Terorizumu Taisaku-ka)
- Counter International Terrorism Countermeasure Office
Prospective SB officers are trained at the National Police Academy in intelligence gathering techniques.
- Aftergood, Steven (12 October 2000). "FAS: Security Bureau". www.fas.org. fas.org. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- Davis and Gustafson, page. 185.
- National Police Agency Police History Compilation Committee, ed. (1977). Japan post-war police history (in Japanese). Japan Police Support Association.
- National Police Agency. 警察庁警備局 自由と繁栄の礎を築く (in Japanese). Retrieved 2016-05-29.
- "ORGANIZATION & RESOURCES (POLICE OF JAPAN 2014)" (PDF). National Police Agency. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-05-13. Retrieved 2015-02-23.
- National Police Agency. 警察庁外事情報部 「外からの脅威」との闘い (in Japanese). Retrieved 2016-05-29.
- Andrew Oros (2008-06-09). "Japan's Growing Intelligence Capabilities" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-03-20. Retrieved 2019-05-23.