National Post Office (Rwanda)
Office national des postes or National Post Office (iPosita Rwanda) is the company responsible for postal service in Rwanda. As of 2009, the Director General of National Post Office was Celestin Kayitare.
Rwanda is part of the Universal Postal Union, which recommends a maximum of 9,000 people per one post office branch. As of 2009, Rwanda's population is around ten million, and would need 1,111 post office branches to meet this recommendation. As of 2009, Rwanda had nineteen post office branches.
During April 2010, the Office National des Postes announced, through the Universal Postal Union, that several fraudulent issues of stamps were circulating.
The Office National Des Postes was granted a monopoly for thirty years in 1992 by the Parliament of Rwanda, then known as the National Development Council. Private services do business in the country despite the government's protests. Atraco, Sotra Tours, Okapi, Virunga, and Muhabura Bus have been named by the postal service as companies operating illegally. As of October 2009, a law was being drafted to crack down on illegal courier services.
International monetary fund
A November 2000 report by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) on reducing poverty in Rwanda stated the IMF would try to make the Office National Des Postes financially self-supporting, while also providing affordable services. According to the report, this would improve the communication structure, allowing those living in poverty to more easily find jobs. As part of a November 2000 agreement over aid with the IMF, the Rwandian government agreed to make the Office National Des Postes self-sufficient by September 2001.
- Mugoya, Grace. "Post Office to Adopt Online Notification." New Times 12 October 2009. AllAfrica.com. All Africa Global Media. Web. 14 April 2010. <http://allafrica.com/stories/200910130091.html>.
- McKeown, K. J. S. "Rwanda (Rep.) – Illegal Postage Stamp Issues." Letter. 26 April 2010. Www.upu.int. Universal Postal Union, 26 April 2010. Web. 4 September 2010. <Circular No. 092 - Rwanda - UPU UNIVERSAL>.
- Mugoya, Grace. "Post Office Seeks to Hold On Its 30 Year Monopoly." The New Times 16 October 2009. Www.allAfrica.com. AllAfrica.com. Web. 4 September 2010. <http://allafrica.com/stories/200910160015.html>.
- AN APPROACH TO THE POVERTY REDUCTION ACTION PLAN FOR RWANDA The Interim PRSP. Nov. 2000. Action Plan from the IMF. p.66 www.imf.org/external/np/prsp/2000/rwa/01/110100.pdf
- Mutemberezi, François, and Donald Kaberuka. "Rwanda Letter of Intent, Memorandum of Economic and Financial Policies, and Technical Memorandum of Understanding, November 6, 2000." Letter to Horst Köhler, International Monetary Fund. 6 November 2000. Www.imf.org. International Monetary Fund. Web. 4 September 2010. <http://www.imf.org/external/np/loi/2000/rwa/02/>.